1752594 Members
3087 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 and Tru64 5.1b - Console Access

Gary Hansford
Frequent Advisor

MSA1000 and Tru64 5.1b - Console Access

The MSA1000 is connected via FC switch to the ES45 tru64 5.1b machines.

If I plug the serial cable into a PC and set the baud to 19,200 I can access the console of the MSA1000.

Can I access the MSA1000 from the FC interface on the Tru64 boxes (e.g. like HSG80 /usr/lbin/hsxterm5 ) ?? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may achieve accessing the MSA1000 console from my Tru64 boxes ? This will be a remote managed system so have a terminal server but cable supplied with MSA1000 is a 9pin Dsub (TS=RJ45) :-( suppose could plug into serial port of Alpha ??

Suggestions most appreciated.

Cheers

Gary
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Gary,
I don't think you can use HSXTERM to talk to the MSA. The OpenVMS operating system contains a utility named 'MSA_UTIL' that allows a *restricted* command set to the MSA. The output is somewhat different to that of the serial port, so I don't think it just passes on the input you have given like HSXTERM does.

The cable supplied with the MSA fits on a PC serial port or a COM port of the Alpha (the pin-out is the same - I have already tried it with OpenVMS running on the Alpha).
Nagarajan Balakrishnan_1
Frequent Advisor

Gary,

You could try investigating whether the software agent "SWCC510" could help your cause.

It runs on the OS as another software package and is very simple to setup and uses either an existing lun or a CCL LUN if enabled from the storage side.

You also have a nice windows based graphical agent which would connect to the Tru64 server in a specific port.

The name of the product is "SWCC Agent 2.3.2 For Tru64 Unix" and you should be able to find it in the "Compaq StorageWorks Enterprise/Modular Storage Raid Array Solution Software". Please check if this would work for MSA1000. I have a doubt on that area.

Cheers
Baalki
Gary Hansford
Frequent Advisor

My solution was as follows: -

1. Plug MSA1000 into COM2 port /tty01 on back of alpha

2. Edit /etc/remote and add following line:

msa1000:dv=/dev/tty01:br#19200

3. Use the tip command to obtain the console

tip msa1000

No monitoring of course, but hey at least I can get at the thing... Thanks to all who suggested alternatives, but looks like Tru64 access is low on HP's list for MSA1000's...

Gary
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

What is the tip command?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor