Disk Enclosures
1748089 Members
4978 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000 connected to L-Class HP9000 running HP-UX 11.00?

SOLVED
Go to solution
spex
Honored Contributor

MSA1000 connected to L-Class HP9000 running HP-UX 11.00?

Hello,

I'm in the process of specing out a disk array which will be initially connected to an L3000 running HP-UX 11.00 (I'm hesistant to upgrade as this server will be decommissioned soon). This array will be moved to a yet-to-be-purchased HP9000 next year. I like what I'm reading about the MSA1000, but have a few concerns:

1) QuickSpecs for the MSA1000 says only HP-UX 11.11 & 11.23 are supported. However, a few documents hint at support for 11.00. Does anyone know for sure whether or not this configuration is possible?

2) I was planning to buy dual HBAs for the L3000. Specifically, A5158A - 1Gbps Tachyon TL PCI single channel FC adapters. Does anyone know if the MSA1000 can be connected to a pair of this HBA?

3) Any idea if/when redundant controller support will be added for HP-UX?

4) If it turns out this configuration won't work, could you suggest some alternatives? The array must work with an L3000 under HP-UX 11.00 initially, be modestly priced, and be something you'd want to attach to a new, entry-level HP9000 or Integrity server.

Thanks in advance,

PCS
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: MSA1000 connected to L-Class HP9000 running HP-UX 11.00?

Hi spex,

if you read the specs about the array, you will notice the "single controller only" part and the list of supported 2GB adapters too. Because 11.00 is near its end of support, I won't expect some support statements.

Depending on your needs you should take a closer look at an EVA or at least at the MSA1500.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

If you just need some disk space (not a SAN array), take a look at the MSA30.
You can get it with either a single or dual bus configuration and use it as plain disks with LVM or even with a smartarray controller.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
spex
Honored Contributor

Tortsen-,

Thanks for your replies. That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Along those lines, do you know if the L-Class or HP-UX 11.00 has a limitation on the capacity of attached storage, or on the number of disk devices? I'm now planning to attach an MSA30 w/2TB of storage, and want to make sure it will all be available for use.

PCS