New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 controller crash due LUN Expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

MSA1000 controller crash due LUN Expansion

Hello,

a few minutes ago I got a heart attack. I want to expand a LUN on a MSA1000 (2 Controller, 14 Disks, 7x 72, 7x 146). 8 servers (7 BL30p, 1 DL360 G4) are connected to the MSA1000, and all servers boot from it. There are 20 LUNs on that MSA1000 and I wanted to expand LUN15 from 25GB to 100GB. There is enough free space to do this operation. I launched ACU on the DL360 and expand the logical volume. After a pressed the "save" button, all servers that are connected to the MSA1000 stopped respondig. Some servers reboot after a BSoD. I saw that there was heavy load on the MSA1000, but there was no messages on the display on the active controller (..expanding Volume #15...). After I logged into the CLI of the MSA, I was trying to run the command "show this_controller". After that, the CLI wasn┬┤t responding. After a reset of the MSA1000 all the servers came up back to normal operation.

My Question: What was this? Any ideas?

Regards,
Patrick

PS: Sorry for my poor english. :)
Best regards,
Patrick
4 REPLIES 4
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Hi Patrick!

Explain your MSA Array configuration (Array A...., Array B...). Do you use BFS (boot from SAN)? What is your rebuild/expansion priority? I think that there was overload of MSA controller and it hang all operation.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi Ruslan,

see the attached file (output from "show tech_support"). Please note that I removed parts that would point to our customer. ;) Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Ruslan
Respected Contributor
Solution

As I purpose
CLI> show globals

Global Parameters:
System Name: M**** SAN Diskarray
Rebuild Priority: high
Expand Priority: high

Expand operation must be perfomed when working load is minimum.

I advise to update firmware of MSA to current release 4.48
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

thanks for reply. I will try to upgrade the firmware and reduce the expand and rebuild priority.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick