1753697 Members
5391 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000 logical drive rebuild

Blair Cassidy
Advisor

MSA1000 logical drive rebuild

I have replaced an drive in the array and all went well. The only problem is one of my logical drives (the first of seven drives) is showing in insight manager "Status: Ready for rebuild" All other locical drives rebuilt fine. This drive is only used for the Clusting portion of netware and is only 60 Mb(Netware 6 sp3, Netware Cluster Services 1.6).
Also, This was brought to my attention as we are having speed issues on the Array. Could this be attributed to the speed problem

Thanks;
3 REPLIES 3
Andy Conboy

Re: MSA1000 logical drive rebuild

Not familiar with this array, but I've seen this issue with other arrays. It was caused by the fact that there was a bad block on another disk within the raid set(assuming raid5). In the past this would have been recovered by reading data from the disk that has just failed, so now it is unable to recover.

This means that the array is ready to rebuild, but always failed. Suggest that you look in the server logs looking for soft disk errors to try and identify which other disk is causing the problem.
Unfortunately, we had to rebuild our Raidset & restore after replacing the 2nd faulty disk.

Roy Main
Valued Contributor

You need to run the Array Diagnostic Utility (assuming you are on a ProLiant with the Smart Array controller) and look for Failed Read Recover attempts on any of the drives in the raid set.

If one of the other drives has this counter incremented then you are indeed seeing an issue with corrupted parity data. This would cause rebuilds to fail and your data would need to be restored from backup as has been suggested in the previous post.

As for the speed issue - i would think it would indeed affect performance as the data on the new, unbuilt drive has to be calculated on the fly every time someone tries to access it.
Blair Cassidy
Advisor

I will run the ADU on the MSA1000 SAN, But I have to schedule downtime for the cluster. In the mean time I have check Insight Manager from one if the servers in the cluster that can see the disk in the SAN. All 14 drives are clean. The only numbers that aren't zeros are Sector Read and Sectors Written. I'm hoping that ADU can provide more detail.

Thanks for the response