1751914 Members
4862 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 low perfomance

Alexander_97
Advisor

MSA1000 low perfomance

We purchased HP server DL380G3 and disk storage MSA1000. During application installation and configuration we discovered that it takes too much time to copy a 2Gb file from one logical disk to another(raid10). Disk subsystem test showed a dramatically low performance (~20Mbps). Same tests made on an old server are much better.
We tried to get help from HP business partner and system integrator, HP Service and Support Center. No one could help us or explain problem.
We checked everything: version BIOS, firmware, drivers and connections. We saw posts with same problems -no solutions. Internal DL disks are more than 3 times faster.
External storage 2-raid10 8x72gb, 4x36gb;1- raid1 2x36Gb. Linked to server FC HBA2214.
22 REPLIES 22
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Alexander,

Are you running SQL or a database? Are you at 4.32 fw for the MSA, 1.34 bios on the 2214 with driver version 9.0.0.13?
Running single path, dual path? Also do you have a 2/8 or 2/6 switch or the single i/o module. If you have a switch involved, lock down the speed to 2GB from auto-negotiate as auto-negotiate can cause issues also.

Let us know your fw levels..

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Dean Simiana
Advisor

Hi Alexander,
Do you have two additional storage enclosures on your MSA? If so, how are your disks, and array's on these disks distributed?
I have been advised that better performance can be achieved by spreading the disks in an array across all enclosures. I have also experienced performance issues with the MSA under extreme loads, such as Domino mail systems. I did some experiments (not 100% quantitive) but did notice improved performance when the disks are spread around.
I understand it is do to with splitting the I/O over multiple SCSI Busses in the MSA. The controller shelf has two busses (first 7 and second 7 slots) and one for each other enclosure.
You can move the disks without having to rebuild the arrays; although you should make a backup and you must swap disks when the MSA and enclosures are powered off.
Alexander_97
Advisor

Server:
PROC X3.06/533-512 ├в 2, RAM ├в 4Gb
Duplex mode.
1 Channel 0,1 2x32Gb RAID1 SYSTEM
2 Channel 0,1,3 3x72Gb RAID5 ARHIVE
FCA 2214 Slot1 (133Mhz)
Storage: MSA1000 (Drive bay numbers)
1,2,3,4,8,9,10,11 8x72Gb RAID10 ndf
5,6,12,13 4x36Gb RAID10 mdf
7,14 2x36Gb RAID1 log
Storage linked to server by Fiber Channel 2m LC/LC Cable

Installed by SMARTSTART├Р┬╛├Р┬╝, during POST writes - optimyzed for W2000 ├Р┬╕ 2003 server.
Windows2003 Standart (all HF appl),
SQL2000 Enterprise SP3, Navi
Alexander_97
Advisor

Navision 3.70 with SQL option, 1.34 bios on the 2214 with driver version 9.0.0.13.
Single i/o module.
>Running single path, dual path?< ??
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The MSA1000 can have either an internal fC switch 7 host ports or a 4 port FC hub. This might make a performance difference. My guess is that the switch would provide a faster solution, particularily if more than one server was connected to the array. So please advise if you have the hub version. Also, often ProLiant servers often are set up with internal hardware mirroring which would be faster than software mirroring in the array. No mirroring is even faster. The cache in the array that helps with random I/Os is of no value to when copying a 2GByte file are any file larger than the cache, because it will fill up before the job is complete. Likely, it would actually slow things down, because there is the extra action of putting the info in cache, then mirroring the write to the second controller for protection against controller failure, and then actually doing the write to disks. However, the array may be faster for smaller random I/Os due to the cache, and data is protected.
Mom 6
Alexander_97
Advisor

MSA: 1- controller, 1- 1port FC adapter. There are no switches or hubs.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Only one controller!!! Not sure how the firmware works, but without a mirror cache, you would need the second controller, your cache may be useless, as it won't report back anything until it is written to disk. That is the default policy for other disk arrays such as AutoRAID and VA arrays. You may be able to change that policy but it is more risky. I don't have time now, but maybe you can check the array manual to put it in immediate report mode. There may even be a setting within Windows (properties on the disk) to set this if I remember correctly. If so, that will improve performance but increase the chances of data loss if power is lost to the array, but not to the computer. Best to have both on the same UPS to mitigate this if you need the performance.
Mom 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Each cache module has two small batteries on-board.
Alexander_97
Advisor

HP supp eng:"- second controller can be placed for redundancy only. It does`t improve perfomance.