4374 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000 on BL20p g4

Cecil_5
Occasional Contributor

MSA1000 on BL20p g4

HI Guys

i'm kinda new to storage and i've been given a task to connect a MSA1000 to one BL20p g4. What i want to know is how do i get my blade to see the storage device, configure the device and do i need to setup an IP for the switch on the storage. My server is running win2003.
Any help would be appreciated.
let me know if there is any other info you guys might need.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 on BL20p g4

The MSA1000 is a SAN device, you need to connect the MSA1000 and the blade to a SAN switch and configure the zones so they can see each other.

If you install the Proliant Support Pack on the server, it will install the Array Configuration Utility. Use that to create RAIDs and logical units on the MSA1000.
Cecil_5
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response, at the back of the device there is SAN fibre switch, dunno if that is the one you talking about. Or should i connect it to our existing SAN Switch and zone it from there
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

would make sense to attach both to an existing fabric if you can , you may wish to allocate storage on the msa1000 to other members of the san in future or to have access to other storage on your existing san from the blade server.

fwiw
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

That SAN switch can have 5 (old version) or 7 (new version) external ports. Also, you can have 1 controller and 1 switch, or 2 controllers and 2 switches (for redundancy).

It's a matter of how may FC ports you need.

The old switch (5 external ports) cannot be connected to external switches.

The new switch (7 external ports) is a Brocade and uses Fabric OS, so it can be connected to other switches on the SAN to provide access to more servers.
Cecil_5
Occasional Contributor

ok thanks, they only want the one server to have access to the MSA1000 all our other servers are connected to our existing dell SAN
Cecil_5
Occasional Contributor

guys, is there maybe a step by step guide on how to configure the device