New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000 running ESX3.01 - Need to Reconfigure from RAID ADG -> RAID10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alistair Nelson
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000 running ESX3.01 - Need to Reconfigure from RAID ADG -> RAID10

Hi

To configure the array in the first place I installed ACU on a Windows server. Now the MSA1000 is connected to ESX servers (DL385G2) so I can't run ACU (I understand the management agents don't provide this ability).

The HBA cards in the ESX servers are Qlogic dual port PCI-X.

I udnerstand the smartstart ACU also won't detect and manage the array through Qlogic.

So is my only option to bring in another Windows box, install a HBA card and run it up just for this reconfig? I believe this would be quicker than attempting it through the CLI interface, since I don't know CLI?

16 REPLIES 16
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 running ESX3.01 - Need to Reconfigure from RAID ADG -> RAID10

I have just checked an old CLI guide and it seems to be fairly easy:

CLI> MIGRATE UNIT 0 RAID_LEVEL=5 STRIPE_SIZE=32
Alistair Nelson
Occasional Advisor

Hi Uwe

Thanks for the comment. You really think it's only a couple of commands? You mention RAID 5, I actually want to go from RAID ADG to RAID 10.

So perhaps a command like that might work, anyone any experience?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It was a direct cut&paste from the manual. Substitute "1" if you want striped mirrors (the SmartArray controller does not differentiate between 2-disk mirroring and striped mirrors).

The CLI has a pretty good online help, by the way.

I am not sure if applies to migrations, but you might want to change some priorites before you start:
SET GLOBALS EXPAND_PRIORITY=HIGH REBUILD_PRIORITY=HIGH
Alistair Nelson
Occasional Advisor

Hi Uwe,

Thanks again. Maybe I will revisit the cmd line interface - tomorrow I'll setup the CLI console cable and have a look. If it really is this easy.

Are you suggesting the array can reconfigure from RAID ADG to RAID 10 without losing data (of course I will backup first anyway).
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, the purpose of the migration is to do it online and not loose data intentionally. Otherwise it would not make sense to me to implement such a function.

Of course I would do a backup, too. 'just in case'
It is a bit like an insurance: you pay so that nothing bad happens...
Alistair Nelson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. Also my current RAID ADG config has 1 hot spare. Will this automatically be included in the migration or would I need to remove the hot spare and add it to the logical drive somehow first?

Sorry for all the questions, first time, and your assistance has been highly appreciated...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I am not familiar with your disk configuration, but if you switch to RAID10 you most likely need more space. Do you still have room in the disk drive array? If not, the MSA1000 will give you a message when you enter the MIGRATE command.

I have not tried it, but I do NOT expect that the MSA1000 uses the spare disk for that. A spare disk can be assigned to multiple disk drive arrays.

So you might need to add additional disk drives to the disk drive arrays before you can do the migration. You can release the disk drive from its spare function

CLI> DELETE SPARE UNIT=2 DISK109

... and add it to the disk drive array to gain space, but in order to figure out the exact commands, one has to know the configuration. That's no big deal once you have CLI access:

CLI> show disks
CLI> show units

See you tomorrow ;-)

> Sorry for all the questions, first time, and your assistance has been highly appreciated...

You're welcome. I do remember my first adventures with Fibre Channel RAID arrays like it was yesterday...

HP's ITRC forums has a similar 'reward' mechanism like VMware's VMTN, if you are familar with it.

It is described here:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
Alistair Nelson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Uwe. At the moment I have 7 disks in RAID6 + 1 hot spare (8 disks total). I need to convert to RAID1 now, assuming possible, and in 2 weeks I need to add 2 disks to the RAID1 array.

Hopefully I can delete the hot spare then run the migration, kicking off some backups now then I will give it a go.

Thanks
Al

(PS Yes I read about the points system when signing up to these forums)
Alistair Nelson
Occasional Advisor

OK I have deleted the hot spare and am currently waiting for the existing logical unit to add the newly available disk.

This will probably not finish till tomorrow morning as the expand command configures the extra disk in the existing RAID6.

I tried to queue the migrate command (existing expand command is only 50% complete). Earlier today it complained that it was busy. But now it complains I don't have enough space?? :

CLI-1> migrate unit 0 raid_level=1 stripe_size=32
Current raid level : ADVANCED DATA GUARD (RAID 6)
Current stripe size : 16kB
New raid level : MIRROR FAULT TOLERANCE (RAID 1)
New stripe size : 32kB
There is not enough space available for this migration.
Unit migration failed.

How much space is required, my VM's are using only about 60% of the space in the existing RAID6 !?

Anyone any ideas? Your help much appreciated.

If I get really stuck I guess I can try the Windows interface again, I am hoping not to have to bring in and runup another machine just for this (hopefully) simple task!

Thanks