108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA20 RAID 5 two identical drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
j bohg
Advisor

Uwe, hopefully you can find some time to respond to the file I uploaded last week. Maybe you lost track again witch is understandable. Anyways, your help is greatly appreciated so hope to read from you soon.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I've tried to understand the data, but I have some problems as there are some inconsistencies:

The picture that you uploaded on Sep 2, 2008 12:14:41 contains two parts. In the upper part, the Disk0 contains 4 partitions, but they don't have drive letters assigned to them.

However, the screenshot from Sep 2, 2008 11:46:31 shows 4 drive letters (C:, D: E:, F:), which I guess belong to Disk0.

The SCSI device map and the screenshot from the device manager show that there are two disk provided by the SmartArray 6400 (scsi5), but they don't seem to be visible in the screenshots from Sep 2, 2008 12:14:41 GMT.

Can you provide an ACU screenshot similar to the one from Sep 2, 2008 11:46:31 GMT, but this time choose the SmartArray 6400?
j bohg
Advisor

Good morning Uwe, thanks again for your reply. Again I attached some screenshots from our server. I hope this covers what you requested and hope to read from you soon.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Wow, that is a cool screenshot ;-)

It looks better now, lets see if we can get some more details. Could you please execute the following commands, store the files in a folder and put everything in a .ZIP file?

wmic diskdrive > diskdrive.txt
wmic logicaldisk > logicaldisk.txt
wmic partition > partition.txt
wmic shadowcopy > shadowcopy.txt
wmic shadowstorage > shadowstorage.txt
wmic volume> volume.txt
j bohg
Advisor

Hey Uwe,

[Wow, that is a cool screenshot ;-)]

Yes, we have 30 inch monitors turned 90degrees sideways :)

I'll gather all the information again and keep you posted!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

On second thought, you might also want to run two variants as well, like:

wmic diskdrive get * /format:csv > diskdrive.csv
wmic diskdrive get * /format:htable > diskdrive.html
j bohg
Advisor

Uwe, I executed all the commands. On the Shadowcopy and Shadowstorage I got "no instance available", so these files are empty. I've included them all in the attached zip-file. I hope this will do and am looking forward to you reply!

Vielen dank bis jetzt!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

'no instance available' means that no shadow copies are active.

Now, to me it looks like the Windows volume manager (this is a dynamic disk!) has become confused. On the other hand, i seems like you have made some configuration since you created this thread.

The original driver letter was X:, not R: and the size of the disk was 1.4TB, not 2TB, right?

Very confusing and I don't have an idea what is causing this, sorry. :-(
j bohg
Advisor

Yes that's right, we made some adjustments. We started all over again and this time we created an array without a spare so that explains the 2Gb instead of 1.4Gb. We also named the drive R instead of X to see if anything would happen with the drive I. Nevertheless we still have the same problem of two drive letters using the same logical drive (the one with 2Gb storage). I tried to make it all visible in my last screenshot.
To bad you cant figure out whats wrong but I want to thank you very much for all your efforts and time spend on this thread! Hopefully I will wake up some day with a brilliant idea ...
j bohg
Advisor

Sorry .... in my previous reply I meant 1.4Tb and 2Tb .... not Gb.