108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA20 and Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

SOLVED
Go to solution
cscherb
Advisor

MSA20 and Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter

Is it possible to use an MSA20 connected to an "HP 64-bit/133-MHz Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter" or is it necessary to use an Smart Array Controller ? (As the array controller is inside the MSA20 I see no reason why this shouldn't work).
6 REPLIES 6
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You need a Smart array controller because your disk in the MSA20 are SATA and not SCSI

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11942_div/11942_div.pdf
raadek
Honored Contributor

As per quoted document you will need one of these:
"Support for the Smart Array 6404, Smart Array 6402, Smart Array 642 and the Smart Array 6i Controllers"

But what is interesting - in fact the controller in a host will act only as a HBA not performing any RAID activity - that's because the MSA20 has its own RAID controller internally. So (as long you do not use the MSA1500) always upgrade cache on the MSA20, not on the host controller.

Well, don't ask me why 'bog-standard' SCSI cards are not supported then!

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

The SCSI HBA would have to have pass-thru capabilities. Pass thru allows SCSI cmds to pass through the SA controller to the MSA20 controller.
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

We are about to use a similar setup. Do you have to set different scsi ID's for each smart array card, or can they be left at default values?

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> You need a Smart array controller because your disk in the MSA20 are SATA and not SCSI

Well, the disk drives are SATA, but the MSA20 has an embedded SmartArray controller which kind of 'converts' from SATA to an external SCSI interface.
raadek
Honored Contributor

Thomas,

From what I believe you do not need to set SCSI IDs anywhere - they should be set automatically.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]