4595 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA20 problem with fan.

Max Sorokin
Regular Advisor

MSA20 problem with fan.

Hi All,

We have ProLiant DL380 G4 with 2 MSA 20 disk array attached (S/N: E02AMLJ15K and E02GMLJ15R). We can't find the location of failed Fans in both disk arrays. In the windows error log we can see:

"Storage System Fan Status Change. An enclosure attached to port 1 of storage system "E02AMLJ15K" has a new fan status of 4. The enclosure model is "PROLIANT 8S8I DB".
(Fan status values: 1=other, 2=notInstalled, 3=ok, 4=degraded, 5=failed)
[SNMP TRAP: 8022 in CPQSTSYS.MIB]"

From the ProLiant Integrated management log viewer we can see:

"External Storage System Fan Failure (Chassis E02AMLJ15K, Slot 2, Fan 1, Location Storage)",Machine Environment,Repaired,1,5/22/2009 11:42,5/22/2009 11:39"

We replace Fan 1 with new one, but we still have the error message in the HP ProLiant Integrated managment log viewer:

"External Storage System Fan Failure (Chassis E02GMLJ15R, Slot 2, Fan 0, Location Storage)",Machine Environment,Repaired,1,5/23/2009 17:10,5/23/2009 17:10"

From manuals we know: Fan 1 location on the left and Fan 2 location on the right.
The question is: where is Fan 0 location?

This last error message periodicaly appears and dissapears on MSA 20 with S/N:E02AMLJ15K, and on the MSA 20 with S/N:E02GMLJ15R this message does not dissapear.

Please Help,
Thanks in advance,
BR,
Max
/Maxim
5 REPLIES 5
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Latest firmware (2.08 - 31 Jul 2008) on the MSA20?

This enclosure is known for reporting false fan failire messages.
Max Sorokin
Regular Advisor

Thanks for this answer. I'll check the firmware. As i understand i musl upgrade to the latest firmware level?
/Maxim
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, this is always the first thing to try when receiving confusing messages / false alarms.

There are a lot of bugs in HP firmware that causes false alarms (I remember now the c-Class blades, MSA1500 and EVA4400 as usual examples).
Sys Admin
Trusted Contributor

We have been getting an increasing number of these. (looking through IML I see it's been happening for years. We just had HP out to replace the power supply. We are running the latest firmware and drivers for the MSA20 and attached server.

Are there any other issues with regards to this hardware we should be aware of?
Sys Admin
Trusted Contributor

Just a follow-up. We replaced power supply and fans, no dice. Turns out (so far at least) it was the backplane.