1753672 Members
5710 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA20 replacement HD

Earl J Moniz

MSA20 replacement HD

Hello everyone,
I have a logical array of six 250 GB physical hard drives. I replaced on of the physical hard drives with a 1 TB hard drive.
Will the logical array increase by the difference of the new hard drive without any interaction by me? (grow from 1.5 TB to 2.25 TB?)
If it does not, how do I fix it?
BTW, it is rebuilding at this time... the array lights are all blue and the ACU array view indicates rebuilding is taking place...
Thanks for any assistance...

Until that time ... Earl J.
I don't remember being this forgetful when I was younger...
5 REPLIES 5
Earl J Moniz

Re: MSA20 replacement HD

Here are the status messages:

319 The cache for MSA20 in E04JMLJ1C6 is disabled. Array accelerator operations such as Expansion, Extension, and Migration are disabled.
[What does this message mean? No arrays are configured until this cache thing gets fixed and enabled? The additional space on the new hard drive is not usable until this cache thing is up and running?]

342 The array controller is rebuilding 1TB SATA Drive at Box 1 : Bay 4.
[It recognizes the 1 TB drive. Will it use it in the array once the rebuild is complete?]

Configuration changes to logical drives in the array are not allowed until rebuilding is complete. Also, configuration changes to any other array that is waiting for expansion or rebuild are not possible until this process completes. If unused space exists, additional logical drives can be created. Otherwise, most configuration changes are not allowed until this process is complete.
[It appears any unused space is up for grabs (assignment) and not automagically given to the array where the original piece was assigned, correct? I have to assign the additional 750 GB somewhere myself.)

778 The array controller is rebuilding (Rebuilding) Logical Drive 1 (1.1 TB, RAID 5).
[Additional info on the array controller.]

Configuration changes to logical drives in the array are not allowed until rebuilding is complete. Also, configuration changes to any other array that is waiting for expansion or rebuild are not possible until this process completes. If unused space exists, additional logical drives can be created. Otherwise, most configuration changes are not allowed until this process is complete.
[Once again, nothing else can be accomplished until the rebuild is complete. Any additional space on the new hard drive above and beyond what was originally there is up for assignment when the rebuild is complete, correct?]

Thanks ... until that time ... Earl J.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The correct answer to you must be - No!

I think you are using the terms incorrectly, when we are talking aboute smart array.

You have got to terms.
Array
Logical Drive.

The Array is a number of physical disks, that are grouped together.

The logical disk's, is the disks that you create on the array, wich is presentet to the oprating system.
It is also with the logical drive that you define the raid level.

If you put in a lager disk, you will get more space in your array.

Your logical drive will not grow automatically.

If you want your logical drive to be extended. You must replace all disks, that are used by the logical drive.

If you are using all space on all 6 disk in a RAID 5. You must replace all 6 disks to exetend the logical drive.

Link to the ACU user guide:
http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf

This might be worth reading:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Earl J Moniz

Hello J (which brings to mind the character in Men In Black - the movie - he knew lots of things in depth that most people only ponder in passing as well (grin) ) ...
thanks for the response ... it is as I thought.
The OS will recognize the 1 TB size of the new drive in the array, but will not assign the additional space to any logical drive that currently exists. I also appreciate the correction of my use of array and logical drives ... I'm so easily confused... (wink)

I'll go check the references you've so graciously provided and then perhaps I'll know enough to complete what I need to do - or at least know enough to come back and ask more intelligent questions.

Thanks again, J ... I appreciate your time and effort... until that time ... Earl J.
Earl J Moniz

Hello again J ...
The bad news is: putting one larger drive into the array we use for one of our logical drives won't do us any good ... so all the indicator lights are blue at the moment.
The good news is: we have another newer system waiting to get installed... an HP G6 server... I guess I'll open it up and seriously consider putting it into service... (grin)

This experience will certainly be a big adventure ... (wink)

I'll be back from time to time with questions to clarify what I know and understand about these things.
An additional piece of good news is the new machine is under warranty, so I can use technical services on that machine...

Until that time . . . Earl J.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.

beware other vendors may use other terms, for the same thing, or the same term for other things.

Cheers
/jag

Accept or Kudo