New Discussion юеВ

MSA2012fc Disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Afonso
Occasional Advisor

MSA2012fc Disks

Hi,

I have a MSA2012fc unit with several AJ738A (500GB) SATA disks.

These disks are Seagate ES.2 series with an HP Hot Plug caddy/tray.

Does anyone know if i can replace those disks with the 1TB version of Seagate's ES.2 keeping the original caddys?

Regards
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA2012fc Disks

Hello,

I don't think that this is supported, even if the disks fits into the caddy and the MSA.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Luis Afonso
Occasional Advisor

The thing here is to use the 500GB caddys and put in there 1TB disks (from the same seagate's ES.2 series). This way of course it will fit.

My only doubt is if somehow the caddy is "locked" to a 500Gb disk?

Does anyone ever tried this?

Regards,
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Can't see how the caddy would be "locked" but the controller may not recognise the drive without the HP firmware. If so you MAY be able to load the HP firmware but don't count on it. We have to use some pretty low level software to adjust disk personality then firmware on other disks but we've never tried a 1TB SATA. Still, buy one and let us know ;-)
Solution

Hi Luis,

Just wanted to let you know this does work. I've just replaced a 500GB HP MSA2 disk running as a global hot spare with a Seagate 1TB retail drive, in the original 500GB caddy.

FYI - I'm running a MSA2012i array with a mixture of 500GB, 750GB, and now.... 1TB disks.
Luis Afonso
Occasional Advisor

Hi. I already ordered the caddy and the disk. Just waiting for their arrive. I'll put here the results.

Stuart, thanks for your reply, specially when everybody is saying it would not work.

Regards
Luis Afonso
Occasional Advisor

It worked.
Luis Afonso
Occasional Advisor

It Worked!