5634 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA2012fc vdisk problem

Tiago Andrade e Silva
Occasional Advisor

MSA2012fc vdisk problem

Hello!

I have only one RAID 6 vdisk (12 HDs) with 3 volumes on a MSA2012fc dual controller. At the logs I got several strange messages stating something like (more details on the attach):
*** Event code 207 vdisk scrub failed, error code 1. 100 errors found;

After some consecutive entries like that I get:
*** Event code 207 vdisk scrub complete, 37 errors found;

I guess this now happens every time a scrub operation will end.

My questions are: why did vdisk scrub failed in the first place when the system has almost no workload at all (still testing and configuring)? How can this be avoided and corrected? I guess this is serious, right? I'm starting to think this equipment sucks... if this is the case now I wonder what will happen when it goes into production with several VMs!

Thanks in advance,
RC
15 REPLIES 15
skris
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSA2012fc vdisk problem

Hi Tiago,
The Event code 207 is classified as information only(severity-medium) . Looks like one of the Drives in the VDISK is erroneous and causing problems.

I'll answer the questions but in a different order :)

why did vdisk scrub failed in the first place when the system has almost no workload at all (still testing and configuring)?

The scrub is a background process, which will occur when device is in an idle state. A flyby is done on each sector simulating i/o as when in production(this is a normal process)

guess this is serious, right?
No, it is an ongoing issue and it is expected to be addressed by the newer firmware

How can this be avoided and corrected?
Find the faulty drive and replace (not possible till the next firmware).

Workaround:
You could probably create a new Vdisk(R6) and go on adding disks one-by-one let the scrub complete and wait for errors (Try removing the drive which logs errors and seek replacement)

PS: If you really wanna get rid of the errors, disable the Disk scrubbing.

Cheers!
Shiva

skris
Trusted Contributor

The issue was identified with version : J200P19. Wonder what version you are at now.
Tiago Andrade e Silva
Occasional Advisor

skris,

Thanks for your reply.
The controller has the latest available firmware - J200P19.
The storage and disk drives are new. The vDisk configuration was created from scratch without beeing used until it completed. I know it's still possible to fail... not usual but possible.
I don't wanna get rid of the errors by disabling scrub, if something is wrong I want to know and correct it and be warned for any eventuality.
I have no desire to put this "thing" into production knowing I have one (of 12) problematic drive who makes my volume (vDisk) inconsistent!?!? Who tells me it isn't more than 1 hard disk? Shouldn't SMART detect such thing and light on the disk LED?
And if I told you I know about another MSA2012fc (also brand new) with the same issue? I don't think this equipment has the minimum quality to be sold yet. This is a Dot Hill product rebranded by HP and I wonder if this is also a common issue with their equivalent product.

Regards,
RC
skris
Trusted Contributor

HI Tiago,

Looks like newer firmware updates are available:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3687119&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3687115&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

But now in the release notes there isn't a word about any fixes to this problem. Ironically the J200 P19 release notes boasts to have fixed the issue which we are discussing.

The newer updates look like minor changes to existing code and sure should help. I would rather try out the newer firmware before anything else.

Cheers!
Shiva

Vahur

Hey,

any updates on this?
Just received our MSA2012FC, and have i populated with 6 SAS and 4 SATA disks - made 2 virtual disk.
And now when their creation has finished, i see that both disks are basically all the time in background scrub "mode". Since the device is idle at this time, i suppose it's normal? But what worries me - after every couple of hours one of the vDisks reports:
207 A317 Vdisk scrub complete, no errors found. (Vdisk: SAS-RAID6, SN: 00c0ffd70ebf00006fd62f4900000000)

And this is considered a critical event, so i get a notification ofcourse about it.

And one other thing - it seems, that every time the "box" stays idle for a while (over-night for example), the WebInterface will stop to funcion. IE just displays an empty page - with status: done with errors on page (have tried it from several computers). All other protocols seem to work (telnet for example). When i restart the controller (via telnet) the WebUI will "gome back". But i don't want to restart the storage controller every time i need to make a chnage. Any ideas?
BTW: i'm on latest firmware J200P24
Vahur

Oh, and as additiona info:
disabling and re-enabling HTTP/HTTPS has no efect. Only restart of the management controller.
Zsolt Ponyiczki

Hello Tiago!

We have the same log entries on our MSA2000.

Did you solved this problem by now?

Best regards!

Zsolt
Venkadesh Kannan
Frequent Advisor

As of I know the best solution to this now is backup the vdisk, delete the vdisk, recreate the vdisk using offline initialization & restore data.

for offline initialization you need to change yourself to a advanced user & then select create vdisk, you will get a new menu called advanced options where offline is visible.
SWAP
Advisor

Hello,

We are also facing same issue with MSA 2012fc:
Event Code : 207
Message: Vdisk scrub complete, 1 error(s) found (Vdisk: SAN-DISK-02, SN: 00c0ffd55f2500489539874800000000)

Where SAN-DISK-02 is configured with RAID5.

1# Is Vdisk scrub is automatic process? if yes then what is time interval?
2# Is it any Hardware related error?
3# Do we need to plan for contingency?

Thanks in advance for support.