1748069 Members
4937 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2012i with two failed controllers

Phil_M

MSA2012i with two failed controllers

Hi,

I have an MSA2012i that was powered down over the weekend while the building had maintenance done. When we came to power it back on both controllers have failed. They appear to be stuck booting. The gui management interface just reports that the controllers are booting please wait. If I try to do show enclosure-status it just hangs. 

A new controller is shipping, my question is what is the best way to recover the config on the enclosure given both controllers appear to be failed?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

5 REPLIES 5
mexposito
Occasional Visitor

Hi!

Did you get a solution to this? We're having the same problem. After a scheduled power down, both controllers have a fixed amber led at the back. It's not posible to get any information using CLI; only management controllers are up, and it seems like the enclosure cannot connect with the storage controllers.

Did you solve it with new controller modules? We think it's more an enclosure related problem and are thinking about replacing it...

Thanks in advance!

PAC-MAN
Frequent Advisor

HI,

The configuration data such as vdisk and volume details will be present in the drives,

so replace one controller and bring the system up, you may have to set the management port IP again. Other config data will be copied from the disks.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!
mexposito
Occasional Visitor

Hi:

Yes, I knew about that. I just thought that a double failure of the controllers would be very unlikely, and perhaps it was the mid-plane which could have some kind of problem.

Nevertheless, I've had both controllers replaced and all the warnings disappeared, recovering service completely (with one disk failure after booting, of course...).

We still don't know what was the cause of the double failure... I guess we'll never know.

Thanks for your help.

PAC-MAN
Frequent Advisor

Hi Phil,

Before replacement did you try to establish a serial connection,

The reason is, in MSA management controller presents us the SMU but during power outage possibly it may fail or corrupt, So via serial connection we can restart the Management controller for both nodes and check, Anyways you have replaced it now but still serial connection is still an option to try.
If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!
mexposito
Occasional Visitor

I don't know about Phil, but you can bet I did. SMU was totally KO, so the only way I had to communicate with the MSA was using CLI and serial port. However, I couldn't execute any useful command, as neither of the controllers would respond. Management controllers could be restarted, but nothing else.