1753672 Members
5645 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA30 Disk is still red after replacing

efirkey
Advisor

MSA30 Disk is still red after replacing

We have an MSA30 connected to a RP3440 with a 6402 Smart Array Controller.  One of the disks (third from the left) had a red lcd light, so we replaced it with a known working disk and the new disk's lcd is red also.  Am I missing any steps to make this drive active?  I thought it would just be hot swapable.  

Do I need to do anything within HPUX to activate the drive? saconfig? sautil?

or could the backplane have an issue?

If you need more details, please let me know.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You mean the disks's LED is red?

It is hot swappable. Problem could be with backplane/cabling/controller.

Do you have hpacucli for HP-UX? Maybe you can get more details about the disk/controller from that.
efirkey
Advisor

We just replaced the original drive and are waiting to see if the system recovers.  I have attached the output from SAUTIL.  I do see a few things going on and I am not sure if I need to replace more drives and/or the battery or not.  I noticed the following:

A9890A Battery status (pack 1) Failed  

what does the battery do and could this be affecting the array?

Logical drive RECOVERING

All Disks Status are OK

but I did see the following drive possible issues, are these related to the Failed battery or issues with the drives themselves?  Do these drives need replacing even though their device status is OK

SCSI DEVICE 1:0 [DISK]   Last Failure Reason.............................. MISSING IN SAVE RIS

SCSI DEVICE 1:2 [DISK]   Last Failure Reason.............................. TIMEOUT

SCSI DEVICE 1:4 [DISK]   Last Failure Reason.............................. DEFERRED WRITE ERROR

SCSI DEVICE 2:2 [DISK]   Last Failure Reason.............................. MISSING IN SAVE RIS

thank you for any help

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, battery pack is good to have in case of power outage.

This 'LAST FAILURE REASON' is per bay if I'm not mistaken.

I'd check for

S.M.A.R.T. errors (in powerup M&P data)........ no

S.M.A.R.T. errors (in factory M&P data)........ no
Device Status.................................... OK