1748202 Members
2947 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA30 Drives dropping ofline

greg long_4
Occasional Advisor

MSA30 Drives dropping ofline

We seem to have problem and its with multiple MSA30 enclosures. When there is sufficient vibration from racking a server or reseating a power supply, we have had entire arrays go offline. This has happened on several MSa30's in different racks. Needless to say we now have a confidence issue with doing maintenance around these arrays. Has anyone seen this? Is there any kind of fix? FYI, When this happens we just shutdown the server and force the drives back online via bios screen and so far no data loss, but the behavior is unacceptable and if we can't stop it we will have to stop using the MSA30.
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA30 Drives dropping ofline

Hi Greg,

The MSA30 isn't really that Smart despite its title - it's just a disk shelf. If arrays go offline that will more than likely be due to whatever controller card is in the server detecting a problem.

I'll take a guess that the SCSI cabling might be getting disturbed temporarily rather than an issue with the disk shelf itself...

Cheers,

Rob
greg long_4
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSA30 Drives dropping ofline

We did check cabling and it's secure. Also when the box went offline when inserting a power supply, the cables were not touched. I have examined to box and you are correct. It very simple. all that is there is a back-plane. I believe this back-plane might be prone to pressure and temperature stress and that it may be at the heart of our problems. I was hoping to see if others on this forum have had similar problems. I am also going the formal support route. Hopefully we can get to heart of the issue and stop it.