5955 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA30MI use with hot and cold proliant servers

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

MSA30MI use with hot and cold proliant servers

Hi

I'm considering connecting two DL380-G4s (Windows 2003) to a MSA30MI and booting off it. Though there will be only one system disk as one of the servers will be a cold standby to be used only when the first is turned off.

This config does not seem to be supported as such by the MI 4port version of the MSA30.

Any thoughts on achieving a supported config?

2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the MSA30 MI does not support ProLiant Servers. You could use a normal MSA30 SB, and if you need to swap servers, then switch everything off, move the SCSI cable to the 2nd server, and power on again. The Smart Array controller in the server will recognise the array on the disks, and should boot from it. (this assumes you have no disks in the server's internal drive cage)

Regards,
Stephen
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

I'm treading a grey area. But I suspect its not supported in the Cluster/Failover scenario. If the standby is powered off then it comes down to is the 4 port unit ok with a single Proliant working host. I find it difficult in this case to see the difference between a supported configuration running Tru64 etc on the host and running Windows as its just a SCSI bus (he says in a glib way)

Does anyone have any detailed info as to why this wouldn't work?