Disk Enclosures
1753599 Members
6268 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA500 SCSI and DL380

Marc Morgan_2

MSA500 SCSI and DL380

I have 1 MSA500 linked to 2 DL380s and 1 DL140 via SA642 Adapters. The 2 DL380's are clustered for exchange and SQL. The DL140 is linked to a logical drive on the MSA500 and is not clustered which acts a a file server. They are all Windows 2003 Sp1 Servers.

I have been getting the following ntfs message on the disk array in the windows event logs.

Event ID: 55
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume K:.

After looking on the forums i discovered that for non clustered servers you should have SSP installed on the MSA so that no other servers on the array can talk to that logical drive.

But i have two issues or queries, first i am using SCSI connectors and not Fibre therefore i read that you can't enable SSP per host but only for the whole MSA controller. Can you enable SSP if you are clustering. What do i do if i am clustering certain logical drives and not the other logical drive.

I do have the SSP option on the MSA, how do i configure it to support clustered logical drives and one non clustered logical drive.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Marc
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA500 SCSI and DL380

Marc:

SSP is configured per Logical Unit. You CAN enable SSP on an MSA500 and in fact, in your scenario, you HAVE to.

For the Cluster, just enable the shared logical units to both cluster nodes. For the stand along box, only enable access from that box to the needed Logical unit.

Basically...in the ACU, click SSP, click enable and click ok. You will get another screen that looks like the attached image.

For your shared LUNS, click the tick box next to the Nodes of your cluster, for your standalone server, click the tick box for the lun you want to give it access to.

You CAN NOT shared a logical Unit between a cluster and a standalone server otherwise you will corrupt the data every time.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Marc Morgan_2

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply, if you could take a look at the attached pic, would this be the correct way for me to setup the SSP for my logical drives?

Thanks Marc
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes.

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Marc Morgan_2

Excellent, thanks for your help and i will give it a try.