1753769 Members
5529 Online
54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA60 Configuration Options

R. L. Kern
Occasional Advisor

MSA60 Configuration Options

I am new to the external storage array so forgive the basic nature of this request. I am adding a new msa60 array to our existing server (IBM x3455) which already has an Areca RAID card(1221). My questions are regarding the initial setup-
Will I require a P800 smart array card in addition to the areca if we wish to configure the msa60 as JBOD. And will I need the HP array configuration utility running to perform this(i.e. MSA60 JBOD configuration). The reason I ask is that the array config utiility requires server os that we don't have installed(we are using FreeBSD)

thanks in advance for any advice.
17 REPLIES 17
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you need to use a RAID card that the MSA60 supports.

See this for which are supported:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12627_div/12627_div.HTML

If you do not want to install ACU you can try to boot the server on the smartstart CD.

Or maybe this ACU offline CD:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3683232&prodNameId=3683233&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-f0790470403f4da3bd94126308

But I am positive that you will need a smart array controller for anything to work.

Downside of not installing the ACU is that if something happens to the array, you will have to reboot the server and boot it on the CD.

In FreeBSD - isn't it possible to 'emulate' linux and get it to run linux binaries? Maybe you can get ACU to run that way?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You likely have a real problem, because you don't have a proliant server. Maybe you really need a hp smartarray controller, but you most likely cannot boot from smartstart. In this case, the ORCA (offline config utility) may be your only option.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
R. L. Kern
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the input
For the ZFS configuration the drives just need to be recognized individually (JBOD) Which is a waste of a good RAID card, I realize, but such is the desired setup
Therefore, I had hoped I could avoid requiring the smart array card (which I believe is more sophisticated than even my areca 1221x) as its potential will remain untapped in a ZFS arrangment. If I understand correctly the MSA60 (even acting as JBOD) expects to communicate with an array controller rather than just pass through all disks to the OS for individual access. I tried the supported controller link given but it wouldn't open a page for me.
Thanks again for helping me to understand this hybridization I am attempting.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

with the smart array you may not be able to disable the raid. you would create an array and in that your lun with a raid level.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Its a dumb SAS box, you can put it behind a SCSI controller, and use it as JBOD.

HP support only HP branded controllers.

Cut and paste from the Quick specs:
For HP-UX and Open VMS environments on HP Integrity Servers the MSA60 supports the HP (AH303A) SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option (AG779A). Behind the single external port on the HP (AH303A) SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter 1+3 cascading allows a maximum of 48 drives in an 8U configuration. The HP (AH303A) SC44Ge Host Bust Adapter will only support HP-UX and Open VMS environments and will be available on all rack mounted HP Integrity Servers with PCIe slots.

The addition of the I/O Module with the HP SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter adds support for Multi Initiator JBOD Clusters. It will support HP-UX and Open VMS on selected HP Integrity servers only. The MSA60 with the I/O Module and the HP SC44Ge Host Bus Adapter will not support ProLiant servers. Multi Initiator JBOD clusters are supported with dual port SAS drives only.
Support for HP Serviceguard software on HP-UX with HP-UX 11iv2/11iv3 only.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Correction:

"Its a dumb SAS box, you can put it behind a SCSI controller, and use it as JBOD."

Should be: Its a dumb SAS box, you can put it behind a SAS controller, and use it as JBOD.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

R. L. Kern
Occasional Advisor

I am probably misinterpreting your post but...
It sounds like the literature is indicating that it (MSA60) will need to be connected to an itanium(integrity) based server to function as JBOD with that controller.
As I have essentially no experience with that platform, I am going to try the route of using an HP E500 smart array controller first and see if that allows the configuration option I need. The Areca is a SAS controller but I'm understanding that the communication via the 8088 is not standard and in this case a proprietary controller is required. I was misinformed about this particular point and now I am try to unravel this to move forward. Many thank to you folks for the assistance.
RL
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

good luck =)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It will work on other platforms as well.

It was as I wrote cut and past, and only partly.
Just to prove, that it is functional on a SAS controller, as JBOD.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo