New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA60 Dual Domain Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Besnik
Advisor

MSA60 Dual Domain Configuration

Hi,

I have a X1600 NAS Server with two P212 controllers, each of them connected to a separate I/O module in MSA60 box. I was hopping to see the disks of MSA60 from both controllers so I can configure the multipath. The problem is that only the controller connected with the I/O module 1 of the MSA60 can see the disk. Any ideas?

On the manual says that MSA60 needs a FW updte in order to work with dual I/O modules but, if this is true, what FW is needed?

Thanks a lot

6 REPLIES 6
patrick haynes
Frequent Advisor

sounds like you need active/active firmware, go to support/drivers, look up msa60 and see if there is active/active firmware, if so, read the manual as there are caveats when upgrading from active/passive to active/active firmware.
Besnik
Advisor

Hi patrick,

thx for your reply. I just want to have a I/O module redudancy on the system so basically an active-passive configuration. The problem is that from the second I/O module I cannot see the disks of MSA60. Seems like the I/O module is disabled or something. Already check for FW on HP site and it's just a FW maintenance CD which I suppose should be run on the host connected with the MSA60. I don't know if upgrading the FW will help me with this problem.
patrick haynes
Frequent Advisor
Solution

"The problem is that from the second I/O module I cannot see the disks of MSA60."

where are you referring to that you are not seeing any disks connected to the second i/o module?
Besnik
Advisor

Yes, I'm not seeing any disks connected to the second i/o module even when I connect only the second i/o module with a host controller. Only the first i/o module displays the disks.
patrick haynes
Frequent Advisor

Q13. What is HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option?

A13. HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option is a field upgrade Option for dual domain.
- Creates redundant pathways from servers to storage devices to reduce or eliminate single points of failure within the storage network, providing increased levels of high availability with redundant paths from the controller to the drives
- Dual Domain support on HP ProLiant servers - Dual Domain support is available for the HP Smart Array P800 attached to a MSA60 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option (AG779A). Dual Domain support requires HP Smart Array firmware v5.10 or higher and dual port SAS drives.

I believe after reading the Q/A, you need the P800 controller for this functionality you are looking for.
Besnik
Advisor

Thanks Patric, I think you are right.