Disk Enclosures
1748169 Members
4375 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA60 Migration

studogg

MSA60 Migration

Have an MSA60 with about 5TB of data. Have a new DL385 server to replace aging ML570.

Can I just plug the MSA60 into the new server, and boot it up?

Is it that easy?

thanks
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor

HP claims data compatibility among most SA raid controllers so the disk raid sets in the MSA60 will be preserved if the MSA60 is moved to another SA controller. So what is the MSA60 connected to right now on the old server and what is it getting connected to on the new server? On the OS side, you may end up with a different disk path for the array logical drives. You will have to adjust that in the OS.
Whatever you do, always take good backups before moving the MSA60 to the new server.
studogg

The new server will have a (462864-B21) HP P410/512 BBWC Smart Array Controller 1 on a DL385 G6.

The old onr is a (273915-B21) Smart Array 6402 128MB controller on a ML570 G3.

Old OS is Windows 2003. New OS will be Windows 2008 Standard. I don't care too much about the letter drives or anythign. Can deal with that. Just don't want to lose the data and have to go to tape.

TTr
Honored Contributor

> The old onr is a (273915-B21) Smart Array 6402 128MB controller

The 6402 is a parallel (traditional) SCSI controller. The new server has a P410 SAS/SATA controller. You can not connect the MSA50 to the P410 controller.
SA controller summary in http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
The new server has both PCIe and PCI-x slots so you would need to put a 6402 in the new server as well and it is supported. See the "SCSI Controllers for External Drive/Storage Support" section in
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13161_na/13161_na.html

You still need to verify the driver availability for the SCSI controller (and maybe the MSA50) in Win2008.

TTr
Honored Contributor

Something is not right here. You are talking about an MSA60 (SAS) and a 6402 controller (SCSI). The two do not agree, The MSA60 has SAS interfaces, the 6402 has SCSI interfaces. So what is it? An MSA30? (I mistyped MSA50 above, I meant to type MSA30)

Please verify the server, array, MSA hardware on the old server environment.
studogg

Sorry,
I sent the wrong controller. I sent the original that came with the server. This is what the MSA60 is connected to.

(381513-B21) HP Smart Array P800 Controller - storage controller (RAID) - Serial ATA-150 / SAS - PCIe

Will I need to pull this? The P400 isn't compatible?

TTr
Honored Contributor

I don't think the P400 is selling anymore. The server may come with the P410 but the P410 only has internal SAS connectors so you can only use it for the internal disk cage.

To connect the MSA60 you either buy a P411 (external connectors only) or pull over the P800.
studogg

OK. I just received the new server. It has a P410 and a P800.

Set the P410 as the boot.

Am I to connect the MSA60 to the P800. Turn both on and then it is that easy? It will just see the partitions?

Will the shares still be there or do they need to be recreated?

thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If the device was connected to a P800 and will be connected to another P800 it will be easy. It's just a roaming - the new controller will pick up the configuration from the drives. Make sure that nothing changed inside the MSA (number of disks, order, etc.)!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
studogg

I also have an older MSA30 that I also need to move to a brand new server.

Will this move the same and remember the partitions and logical drives?

Or is there something else I need to do?

thanks

stewart