1751712 Members
5108 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA60 storage array

QBS
Advisor

Thanks, I have already done that and it has extended and I had to convert the dynamic disc in windows to extend it after the ACU.
It's all working now but it shows 2 HD in Windows disc management.

Question is I had shadow copied enabled but now it shows disbled but it's is still working, I think because it was enabled before I extended the array for the 550G, now I have about 839G total showing 2 HD in windows disc management, what do I do now? what will happen if I enable it again? Will it stuff up the settings before since it is working now but it shows disable.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

hmm. I don't know on the last part.

I for sure wouldn't exspect to see 2 more disks, unless you create more Logical drives. You should get a larger disk only, with unused space.

I have no idea aboute the shadow stuff.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

QBS
Advisor

That's what I see under windows disc management, the new HD 279G and my old one which is about 559G, both dynamic now and using it as total space. Maybe it's normal to see 2 Hard drives under hardware raid?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

No.

You must have created an extra logical drive !

The oprating system see the logical drives only. It can never see the physical drives.
At least when we are talking aboute the Smart Array Controller.

please attach screen shots from the arrayconfiguratio utility, showing the logical drives, and from the windows disk mangement.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

QBS
Advisor

Here it is.
QBS
Advisor

and another one.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Hmm never seen that before.

From the RAID controller, everything is perfect.
You got that right.

On the OS.
I'm not sure.
But it seem like you have createt a new partition, on the new space you have got on disk 3, and then convertet to dynamic disks, and then spanned them.

What you should have done:
You should have done noting on the new space.
opened a command prompt
run diskpart
extended the partition.

I don't think it's a disaster.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

QBS
Advisor

What I did when the controller was done, I went to disc managment and I saw the extra HD but everything is simple disc.

I right clicked and extend option was greyed out, so I converted all to dymanic disc and then I had the option to extend the disc and that is what I got. It was showing 2 disc from the beginning, you think the command line is not the same as what I have done?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes. I can see that

You did not see an extra hard disk.
What you did see was unpartitioned space on the disk, becaurse it was now a bigger disk.

Not an extra disk, a bigger disk.

If you look at disk 3, you now have 2 T:
drives. Becaurse you have createt a new partition, on the greyed out area.
Convertet both partitions and then spanned them, meaning They now appear as one disk.

If you had done nothing to the greyed out areare.
Opened a command box, and run diskpart.
Then you could have extended the old T partition.

You have now learned something new, and this will not be strange to you in the future. :)

Accept or Kudo

QBS
Advisor

ok thanks, what will happen if I add another HD? and use the command? will it join it onto the second HD as 1 HD.