5030 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA60 with 2 servers

QBS
Advisor

MSA60 with 2 servers

Hi

We have a MSA60 storage array with 4 SAS 300G (15K) dual port HD raid 5 connected to our MS 2003 Standard DC Server via P800 SCSI controller card. We have 2 DC.

I want to set it up so if my DC server fails I can still access the data on my second MS 2003 DC server.

What is the best way to do this:

1.Installing another P800 SCSI card on second server and just switched the cable over if the first server fails and it should see all the data and shared folder just like the first server?

2. Buy a dual domain I/O module and install it on the MSA60 and another P800 scsi controller on the second server and connect it to the second I/O module and see if it switches over if the first DC fails, I have not setup cluster on the 2 server as this setup is used for database server and we are just a file server. So not sure if this will work.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Re: MSA60 with 2 servers

It won't work like you decribed. Actually i'm not sure that it will work if you even install cluster:
=====
On HP ProLiant servers Dual Domain support is available for the HP Smart Array P800 attached to a MSA60 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option (AG779A). (Single initiator environment only)
=====
QBS
Advisor

Is it not what I described in option 2 that you are telling me, getting another HP Smart P800 controller on the second DC and another I/O dual domain module for the MSA60?
QBS
Advisor

I have a proliant server ML-350 G4 and HP smart array P800 controller already on the first server, I just need to do the same for the second DC server with an addition Dual domain i/o controller for the MSA60, I assume the second server has to be the same model server as the first and I can't use say an IBM server with a PCI express slot for the P800 controller.
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Can you clarify: are you going to run both servers on a same time, connected to MSA, or just have another one connected to MSA and turned off until first one fails?
In first case you'll have a problems and most likely lose your data. In a second case it could work, but i'm not sure if you need to restart MSA in case if first servers fails.

Anyway, if you need HA scheme - you'll need storage (i.e. 2312sa or something like) and a cluster software.
I could be wrong, but i can't see any way to realize your plan with this equipment.

Regards,
Philipp.
QBS
Advisor

Both server are on and are DC and using Windows 2003, one of them is connected to the MSA60 with a P800 card, I just want the data to be available if the server fails. User still can login because the 2nd DC is running but they won't have any map drives.

Like I said I thought I will get another P800 controller installed on the second server and just unplug the cable and plug into the second server and hopefully the data is still there, but might need to share the folders out again.

Was thinking if there is a way of doing it automatically if 1st server fails.