1748264 Members
4121 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating 3200 Array to new server.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Migrating 3200 Array to new server.

Hello all. I am installing a new ML370 to replace an aging 6500 server. The ML370 has a 431 controller with a RAID 5 array for the OS and some read only data. The 6500 series server has a 3200 card with an external storage cabinet with 8-18GB drives in a RAID 5 array. What it be possible to bring up the new server and then install the 3200 card while keeping the exisiting RAID array and data from the original server intact I was hoping that I could install the 3200 card and the array and data would still be there. Otherwise I assume I will have to recreate the array and then restore from backup.

Lonnie
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Migrating 3200 Array to new server.

Lonnie,

Yes, you can perform this task. After installing the 3200 into the ML370, verify that the external storage is connected to the array controller before you power up the ML370. You will want to make sure that the 431 controller is listed first as it boots up. If not, then you will have to change the "boot order" in the F10 System Configuration Utility. Your raid data should be kept intact. But as a precaution, before you remove the 3200 from the PL6500 server, you will want to make sure that you backup your data to tape.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mike,
The raid controller I need to migrate is actually a SMART 2-DH, not a 3200. Does the same procedure apply?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Lonnie,

Yes, because the array configuration is actually kept on the hard drives themselves.

Have a nice day,
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi mike. What if the case is that I have a failed 3200 array configured to RAID5, and that I have a spare 3200 array configured before to RAID 1. you mean to say that all I have to do is get the configuration from the Hard drive? thanks! Juan