Disk Enclosures
1753913 Members
8950 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirroring O/S Disk on ML350 with external SCSI Disk

Jamie Campbell

Mirroring O/S Disk on ML350 with external SCSI Disk

I have a ML350 with a 36Gb Internal SCSI disk, I have loaded Windows 2003 Server and made it a dynamic disk.

I also hace an external RAID device with a 36Gb partition connected through a HP Ultra 360 HBA.

When I try and create a mirror it tells me it cannot update the boot file or any boot partitions on the target disk, however it continues to sync the disk and created the mirror?

Another alternative would be to create the boot device on the RAID, but this seems not possible? is there a way of doing this?

Any ideas on this?
2 REPLIES 2
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirroring O/S Disk on ML350 with external SCSI Disk

Jamie,

It would be best to install a smart array controller and another 36gb hdd internal to your ML350 and create a hardware Raid 1 intead of creating a software mirror. That will give you a redundant bootable OS drive.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirroring O/S Disk on ML350 with external SCSI Disk

Hi Jaime,

I would bring both drives on the same controller, specify the boot controller order for this raid controller and create a RAID 1 hardware mirror set. Then load the OS on this logical drive.

A hardware mirror would be preferred over the Windows level software mirror. Cuts down the OS overhead as well.

Let me know if you need any further clarification on this.

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards