1752681 Members
5653 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Missing autoRAID disk

Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

Missing autoRAID disk

I have an autoRAID 12H and arraydsp reports that a disk is missing. The problem is that all the disks are there and all are online.

It appears that one of the disks was failed but when reseated came good again. But somewhere in the process, the autoRAID thinks it has got a new disk.

Is there any way to get rid of this phantom disk.
All I can think of is arraycfg -D but the missing disk does not have a slot number so I can't refer to it at all. The autoRAID is now in a degraded state because it thinks a 13th disk has data on it even though this is not the case.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Missing autoRAID disk

This make no sense especially when you talk about a 13th disk -- one more than the array can hold. Posting an arraydsp -a -V arrayid would be helpful. What version of the firmware are you running -- although the arraydsp -a -V will answer that but rather cryptically.

My best guess is that that a rebuild was interrupted or that you have more than 1 bad disk although old 12H firmware could be buggy OR you disn't install the array software updates required by the firmware.

You may need to run arrayrecover but your first task should be to make sure you have good backups -- so you won't need them.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

The arraydsp is attached.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This appears to be a Model 12 rather than a 12H. It appears that a disk was removed and replaced with another before a rebuild was complete. You might be able to use the front panel to start another rebuild but I suspect that you are really going to have to remove all the LUN's and format the array. The format operation takes only a few minutes and can be done from the front panel.

Note that the array is reported missing "Data Unavailable" and because of the way the AutoRAID stores data this is almost certainly not restricted to a single LUN. I trust you have backups. In my experience, it was alway dumb to reseat one of these disk modules, yes, they may spin up again and come ready but they are an accident waiting to happen. I always replaced the drive at that point.

I've only used 4 of the older Model 12's but in my experience they were not nearly as reliable as their 12H cousins. Other than routine disk module/controller battery replacements. I've never had a moments trouble with 12H's and that represents well over 200 array-years service and in that time have never lost a single bit of data.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

Yes, sorry it is a 12 not 12H.
We did a power off and on of the autoRAID and when it restarted it forgot about the phantom disk so I guess the desired result has been achieved and the old master reset fixes the problem yet again.