3829 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mix multipath between EVA8400 and EMC CX3-40C

fghuycan
Occasional Contributor

Mix multipath between EVA8400 and EMC CX3-40C

Hi,
I'm a newbie in HP and I have a question about multipath between HP Storage and EMC Storage.
I have a windows 2k3 join to SAN, EMC Storage present some LUN for this server, EMC PowerPath configured on this server.
Now, we have a EVA8400 Storage System join in this SAN and we will zone this Server above with EVA8400.
Need we install the DSM for EVA on this server to Multipath HP Storage???
What happens if mix these two software on this server?
thx!
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Mix multipath between EVA8400 and EMC CX3-40C

Typiclly, you can run multiple multipath packages for different arrays. problems arise when you try to run different packages for the same array.

Yes, you absolutely need the DSM for the EVA as PowerPath knows nothing about an EVA. PowerPath only knows about EMC Storage arrays and will only handle disks from an EMC Array. The EVA DSM only kows about EVA Storage and will only handle disks from an EVA.

I don't know for sure if you will have an issue. My best suggestion is to try it on a less important server first... or a test server if you have one.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

One of our customers is using EMC storage and XP24K on the same server, both MP SW were installed and there were no issue about running both.

Actually you have to install MP SW for each storage.
fghuycan
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
You are right. No issues happened when I try installing the DSM software for EVA8400.
The EMC PowerPath just showed the changes status when instaling DSM. I was afraid of somthing will be wrong (The confict between them) but they worked fine with each other.
Thx for ur reply so much, It was really userful ;)