Disk Enclosures
1752307 Members
5226 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ml530 Smart Array 3200 w/ dual daughter board.

Paul T. Rice

Ml530 Smart Array 3200 w/ dual daughter board.

Hi folks - I'm trying to use the second drive bay in our compaq ml530 800mhz server. We have a smart array 3200 controller with a dual port daughter board. I have purchased the second bay (came with power cable and scsi cable) 3 72gig 15rpm drives and one addisional power supply. The first port on the daughter board of the controller is used for the first bay of 6 32 gig 10rpm drives. I connectd everything and get an while booting up saying "1775 storage enclosure not responding" check power and scsi cables. I have check and rechecked these cables they are fine. The drives light up for a second while booting. How can I get the controller to see this new drive enclosure.? Will provide more info as needed?
Thank You
Paul
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: Ml530 Smart Array 3200 w/ dual daughter board.

Can you tell which version of SmartStart CD you are using?
Are you getting this error while Hardware configuration?

Let us know the exact steps you are following
to configure it
Paul T. Rice

Hello - We are using smart start v5.2. I should note that the first drive bay which is working just fine and always has, has a blue scsi cable, the new drive bay came with a yellow scsi cable. I'm plugging in this yellow cable to the second port on the daughter board and I used the existing power cable that was already in the server for the second bay. I then plug in the power and other cables in the back and start the server. Tonight I plan on swapping the scsi cables to see if the first bay fails. If so, its the yellow scsi cable. If not, I plan on swaping the power cables, if no change then I'm going to run diagnostic's from pressing f10 while booting or booting from the smart start cd. The error "1775 storage enclosure not responding scsi port 2 :check power switch and cables". Where is this power switch? The error happens right after the initialization or post on the 3200 controller.
Paul T. Rice

Hello - One other thing to note is that the 3200 controller does have a external connection that is not used, however there is a yellow scsi cable going from this external connection to the mother board. Should this cable be removed. I believe it needs to be in there to provide termination.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Did you put on the second power supply which came alongwith the cage? Two power supplies are required if you have two cages at a time.

The external connection ( yellow cable ) of Array 3200 is connected on mohterboard is required to get array recognised by the system.
Paul T. Rice

Sameer - Thank You for taking the time to help me. Tonight I found the problem. I took the power cable that came with the server for the second drive bay out and replaced it with an extra power cable that I had (this is the cable that goes from the drive bay enclosure to the power board inside the server). This solved the problem. I configed a second array and created a new volume and am now moving data to it. I cant thank you enough for your time.

Paul