New Discussion юеВ

Re: Model 20 Disk Array Service Light

SOLVED
Go to solution
V. W.
Advisor

Model 20 Disk Array Service Light

Hi all,
I have a model 20 disk array system with sp620 contollers. I recently had a controller die. I replaced the controller and the same symptoms occured. This is what happens when the array is booted up, the drives all spin up and show ready. Then the Service light blinks once, thn stays on steady. Inspection of the storage processor lights show the service light lit on the bottom of the two processor cards.
Any Ideas?
-V
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Did you sync firmware on the both controllers? Check with presentation utility for BOTH controllers. Check Unsolicited logs. Also note that if one LUN is displayed as RDY for one controller it should be ENA for another (!). If you'll see LUNs displayed RDY for both controllers then do not shutdown array and call HP
Eugeny
V. W.
Advisor

Do you think mabee it could be the cache. Since I swapped it off of the dead controller and put it on the new controller? Is there a way to find out if the cache is good?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Of course. You should connect to controllers to see what they display. Because of bad DIMMs controller either will not boot, or crash - you'll see it when connect to controller, or viewing unsolicited event logs for this controller.
Connection setup 9600/8/N/1
Eugeny
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

We have had lots of controllers blow due to bad memory. (And our CE's have lost a couple of theirs from using the badmemory in the new sp...)

Have you tried reseating the sp yet? Sometimes you can get lucky...

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

In addition to reseating the SP, I would reseat the memory you moved, those SIMMs are tricky.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Check the UEL.

Via xstm tools-info-run or in FE Mode in the presentation manager (Ctrl P, shift F E in presentation screen) Then back to the menu (^) then select UEL.

It could be that you didn't update the SP PRoms after replacement. log into the new SP and select update SP Prom from the SP menu.

Otherwise it's your simms as mentioned. Check in the presenter if caching is enabled.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)