1748058 Members
5409 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Model 20 Disk Array - scsi bus failure

Jack Kalbach
Occasional Contributor

Model 20 Disk Array - scsi bus failure

We have built a system from from some old hardware ( H70 w/ 1 model 20 array attached) and it has been working fine. Recently we received a SCSI bus error on slot B for the model 20. I have not been able to clear this error ... the gridmgr thinks that there are no drives in B0, B1, B2 and B3 ... I have another model 20 ... What steps do I need to take to move the existing drives into the new(old) model 20 ??? (no service contract for this hardware)

Thank You
Jack Kalbach
Too Much of Everything is Just Enough ...
3 REPLIES 3
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Model 20 Disk Array - scsi bus failure

What steps do I need to take to move the existing drives into the new(old) model 20 ??? (no service contract for this hardware)

Leave the power on on BOTH arrays. Never remove anything from the Nikes during a power off.

Remove the disks on the failed array.

Reseat them one by one.
Wait till you see the RDY or ENA after the POW.

Perhaps it's a failed disk mech, although sounds very much like a backplane error which you can't do much about.

I'd just rebind my luns (requires backupo/restore) to only use the 4 remaining busses. (in 4 raid 1/0 luns)

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor

The SCSI bus error on the internal B-bus of the model 20 could be caused by any one of six components which are on the B-bus. (SP-A, SP-B, B0, B1, B2 or B3) If the gridmgr thinks that there are no drives in B0, B1, B2 and B3, I suspect something has the B-bus hung. With the operating system shut down (backups are always a good idea) try removing the above six components one at a time. If removing one of these doesn't clear the problem, I suspect a deeper problem. (possibly the mid-plane)

To move the disks to another model 20, first verify it has the same type Storage Processor (SP). The model 20 was available with two different SP's. If the SP's are the same type, with the power off on each Model 20, just move the drives from one to the other remembering to get them into the same slot they came out of in the first array.

If the SP's are not the same type you will have to move the SP's also, as the FLAIR code on the boot disks is SP type specific. (the newer/faster SP620's had different FLAIR code)
Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.
Edward Thibeault

The error can be isolated by looking at the extended status messages in SP logs.