New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mounting new EVA3000 disk system on a live enviroment

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Thomson
Super Advisor

Mounting new EVA3000 disk system on a live enviroment

Morning

I need to mount 2 x jbods in to our existing EVA3000 enviroment.

Can this be done online ?

What are the risks ?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Dave,
I am afraid I don't fully understand what you are asking, because:

the term 'JBOD' (Just a Bunch of Disks) is usually used when a storage controller presents the contents of a physical disk (unchanged - no RAID) to the host. That is not possible with the EVA.

If you rather ask if you can put the physical disks into the EVA while the system is up - then the answer is YES.

As with any (mechanical) change there is a certain risk that this will disrupt operation. I have seen SCSI disks that came DEAD from the factory and locked the bus, but I haven't seen FC disks that did the same thing, yet.

I suggest that you plug in one disk and carefully checks if it comes up properly. After that plug in the next one. Remember that any plug / unplug causes a short interruption on the back-end - that is just how FC_AL works. Give the controllers some time to settle in-between.

When both disks are visible in CommandView EVA you can add them to the disk group. Now wait until the leveling has finished - watch the progress bar on the disk group. Finally, enjoy the additional space!
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

No, in the Instruction guide
hp StorageWorks- Adding M5314 Drive Enclosures to an EVA5000 Configuration it says:

This guide tells you how to add an M53141 drive enclosure to an existing EVA5000 rack with loop switches, while the EVA5000 is running and in production.
You can add M5314 drive enclosures to EVA3000 and EVA5000 racks without loop switches while the storage system is shut down!

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Dave Thomson
Super Advisor

Hello Uwe

Sorry, the information i supplied was so short, i was in a hurry.

We have 2 x hsv controllers in the rack with 2 x disk racks, fully populated.

I have to add 2 x extra disk racks with X disks in them to the current infrastructure. And then add these to the current storage group.

Peter, where can i find the document you are reffering to.

We have decided in the meantime to go with the off line upgrade, too many risks with online it seems.

Thanks
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor
Solution

Find the document attached.
I believe it comes with the enclosure.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh, I see - you want to add two complete disk drive enclosures, not just two disk drives. I knew that pre-merger HP calls those boxes JBODs, but I didn't think about it that time - never mind.

I am fairly sure I have seen a(n old) document that said it was a supported operation, but the document Peter quoted is much younger, so I assume support has been withdrawn and, honestly, I am too lazy to try and dig it out now.

Anyway, opening one loop and keeping the array running on the other one is a nice thing for adventurers ;-) Whenever you can afford the downtime I would go this way and not risk the data.
Dave Thomson
Super Advisor

Hello

Thanks gents.
We do not have the loop switches, i would have done an online if we had these devices.

Disk enclosures are currently looped - enclosure to enclosure.

Client is arranging downtime :)

Cheers