Disk Enclosures
1753481 Members
4685 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move RAID5 array to another RAID5 array

DannyB

Move RAID5 array to another RAID5 array

I have a Proliant ML350 G4p with a RAID5 array of 3 drives on a 641 smart controller.
O/S is 2003server w/SP1 Standard and the array is bootable. Here's the thing, I want to put 3 more drives in, create an array with them and move the existing array over to it and then remove the "old" array. Basically switch arrays, can it be done?
Whaddyathink?
2 REPLIES 2
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

You could add the 3 extra drives to your existing array to provide more drive space if you goal is to have a larger RAID 5. I have not heard of moving an array though. I don't think the ADU gives you the option. You could theoretically back up to tape, reinstall the OS to the new array and then move data back to the new array. After that, delete the old array.
Ask and you shall receive
DannyB

Well, I installed 3 more drives and created a RAID5 and started to "migrate" the array.
Silly me, that only added the 3 drives to the existing array! Well, I shut down during this process and installed a BBWC module on the array contoller and when I rebooted there was data loss and the array was dead!
Lesson, don't re-boot during raid operations such as expansion or migration. I ended up taking the 3 new drives out and re-ghosting the old array. Now that 2003server is back up it's time for Legato!
Also, I could have takin one drive out of the old array and replaced it with a larger and afster drive and let the array re-build on that, then do the next drive and so on till the array consists of the new drives. That would take some time!
Someone has to have or come up with a utility that allows you to move arrays from one to another.
thanks for your response,
D