cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move array from one to another raid controller

hp_17
Occasional Contributor

Move array from one to another raid controller

Hello,I want to move volume1 of an array (volume 1 Raid1 and Volume2 Raid5) from a Smart Array 5i to another server with smart array5312(Volume 1 disks unplugged, Volume2 Raid 5).
Goal is, to use on a server with arraycontroller 5312 his own volume 2 and the foreign volume1 from smart array controller 5i. Is this possible? The manuell says yes, but the reality says no, it doesn`t work!
Reason for this procedure: I must install the operating system on server with array 5312 new, but I want to use the datas on volume2 and I have no place to copy the files too, because the datavolume is too big!
Has someone an idea?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Move array from one to another raid controller

With the little information you give here, "but the reality says no, it doesn`t work!", I can only guess at what the "doesn't work" part is.
Since you say you are moving the RAID 1 that is volume 1, I guess it has an OS and it is the OS that "doesn't work". For the disks should move fine and the controllers should be able to read the RAID configurations from the disks when moved, but the OS will most likely not boot due to a whole host of reasons depending on the OS.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
hp_17
Occasional Contributor

Re: Move array from one to another raid controller

The problem isn`t the OS! When the controller try to inspect his drives and raidsets, it says, POST 1785 error with the sequence of disks. But the sequence is right.
Is the reason for the problem, that I separate the two raidsets and push two foreign raidsets together? Is it only possible two move all the raidsets from one controller to an other one?

Thanks!