4253 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Moving BL460c G1 Blades attached to MDS600

TurtleBob
Frequent Visitor

Moving BL460c G1 Blades attached to MDS600

Hi All! New to the boards.

I have a C7000 enclosure populated with a mixture of half height and full height blades. The half heights are Bl460c G1 blades and each has a BL920c TapeDrive attached. The blades with tape drive are in Slots 5-6 and 7-8 in the C7000 Enclosure (Slots 1-4 have full height blades, so the C7000 is full, so to speak). Each blade is also connected to a zone on the attached MDS600 using p700m controller cards and 3GB SAS Switches. I have received a new full height blade and to make room have tried to remove the tape drives from the BL460c blades and move the blade in slot 7 to slot 6, thereby freeing up slots 7 and 8 for the full height blades. Much to my surprise, when I powered on the BL460c machines, they had lost the MDS600 Zones and the drives were no longer available. When I place the blades back in the original configuration, the drives reappear. Is there a way to move the BL460c blades without having to backup all of the data in each zone and recreating it?

Thanks,

Bob

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving BL460c G1 Blades attached to MDS600

Hi,

I suspect you need to check out the correlation between port in the SAS-switch and the server bays.

Also, as for the positioning of your blades, I am confused. Could you perhaps draw a before and an after picture?

TurtleBob
Frequent Visitor

Johan,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to respond. We were having some network issues.

I have attached a diagram of our c7000 enclosure along with the cablle configuration from the SAS Switches to the MDS600.   Both file partitions are through Port 51 and I'm not sure why the port would change if I am just moving the one BL460c from Slot 7 to Slot 6 (and removing the partner tape blades.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

"Only drive bays attached to switch ports 1-4 can be zoned to server bays 1-8 and drive bays attached to switch ports 5-8 can be zoned to server bays 9-16."

So that doesn't apply to when you move a server from bay 7 to 6.

TurtleBob
Frequent Visitor

That's how I read the documentation also. So, I am puzzled as to why I lose the zone mappings for both bl460c blades when I move from slot 7 to slot 6.