1747980 Members
3801 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving Disks

david.stevenson
Occasional Contributor

Moving Disks

My production Server is a ML370 G1 configured on Windows 2000 using a Hardware Raid Controller card. Our spare server is a ML370 G2 - I want to build it up the same way as the production server and then simply swop over the drives. I dont have a spare HRC card so if I use the oboard SCSI controller will the drives be recognizable when I put them into the production server?
2 REPLIES 2
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

As long as You are able to load appropriate driver for HRC in Windows 2000 and it support the same RAID level that is already configured for the production machine then i don't think there should be any problem.

You need to check details of the driver of HRC of Windows 2000 and functional difference between the two HRC's.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

what type of RAID controller is in the ML370 G1? I would assume it's from the Smart Array family. If this is the case, the onboard SCSI controller of the G2 server will NOT recognise the disks and you will not be able to access your data. Disks cannot be moved from Smart Array to SCSI Controller (or vice versa) while keeping the data intact.
However if you install a Smart Array controller (any of the modern ones) in the G2 server, it will recognise the array, as long as the disks are in the same order.

Regards,
Stephen