1748134 Members
3591 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving Raid to new Server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Moving Raid to new Server

Hi, I have a Storgage Works 4200 filled with disks on a raid 5 config. I want to replace the server attached to this storage works while also keeping the Array configuration. If anyone can tell me how to do this, it will make my day.
7 REPLIES 7
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

You will have no problems doing this. Just make sure to run the F10 partition so it sees the changes and also to run The Array Configuration Utility. IT will see the RAID and automatically update it. IF this is where the OS is then make sure the Smart array controller that is attached to this Storage is set as first.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Should this also work on a 3200? I am about to move a 3200 with a raid 5 to a different server. Same procedure?
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Correct. Same procedure for the 3200. The 3200 supports drive roaming.
If you run into any problems please provide me your e-mail address and then we can setup a phone call.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mark: Thanks for the help. Now a different problem occurs. We put the Compaq Smart Array 3200 controller, with it's Storageworks 4300 array into a Dell PowerEdge 2550 server. Not with too much success however. The server keeps rebooting, trying to update it's NVSRAM or something. Any reason this should happen? I assume the SA3200 should be able to run on this server? At least, from Compaq's point of view?

Thanks again!

Per-Arne Hoff
WesternGeco
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Make sure the 3200's firmware is up to par. Maybe try the 3200 in a primary slot.
Due to this being in a Dell, I'm not sure of there architecture.
Any more details would be greatly appreciated to help resolve your issue.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mark: Please email me at hoffp@knarvik.geco-prakla.slb.com, and we can continue this off the board. I have a complete reboot-message for you.
Ryan Shuck

What is the solution to this? I am having the same problem. Updated the firmware to 4.50 (using another computer, of course). I'm trying to put this card into an HP Kayak XU800.

Ryan