108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving array from MSA50 to MSA70

SOLVED
Go to solution
jaykay
Occasional Advisor

Moving array from MSA50 to MSA70

Hi, I may have a faulty MSA50 that I purchased secondhand. I want to replace it with an MSA70.

Can anyone tell me if I have a 10 drive array in the MSA50 (connected to a P800 controller), can I just move the drives tot he MSA70, connect this to the P800 and the array will still show up like normal with no loss of the logical drive?

2 REPLIES 2
StephenWagner7
Frequent Advisor
Solution

@jaykay wrote:

Hi, I may have a faulty MSA50 that I purchased secondhand. I want to replace it with an MSA70.

Can anyone tell me if I have a 10 drive array in the MSA50 (connected to a P800 controller), can I just move the drives tot he MSA70, connect this to the P800 and the array will still show up like normal with no loss of the logical drive?

Both the MSA50 and the MSA70 both appear to the SAS Smart Array controller as JBOD (Just a bunch of disks), which means the Array configuration is managed by the controller and disks.

Since the controller is staying the same and you're simply changing the enclosure from an MSA50 to an MSA70 you should be fine. (In some cases even if you changed the controller to another HP Smart Array controller, you'd also be fine since they designed it this way, although you'd want to ensure a proper shut down to make sure that no data is inside of the BBWC or FWBC, you shouldn't have this problem since you will be using the same controller).

You should be fine!

Worst case scenario, if you change to an MSA70 and it can't detect the array/logical drive, DONT attempt to delete or create it. Simply shut down, put the drives back in the MSA50.

As always, it's good practice to have a functioning reliable backup.

jaykay
Occasional Advisor

Hi all, I have done the swap. Was so easy! and its all working like the treat.
The MSA70 is much quieter than the MSA50. Much happier!