108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need info on RSS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Need info on RSS

Hi, I got a doubt similar to my last week discussion but I├в m trying to understand the how Redundant Storage Set (RSS) works in EVA with different configuration. For example in 2C1D, 2C4D and 2C8D. We have an EVA 3000 2C4D conf with 29 disk in one disk group. Three enclosures got 7 disks and 4th one is having 8 disks. When I read my RSS index I understand that it got 8+8+13. Attached excel file tells how does the Whole RSS look like. I would like to know if I switch off one of the disk enclosure will my SAN go down with total loss of data or everything can be recovered. Our current RSS state is set to mirror.

Thank you for u r time.

Bala
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Bala,
I'll attach a set of SSSU commands. If you can run them against the EVA, send the output in a .TXT file and put it as an attachment (please no cut&paste) - I'll be happy to try to generate a report.
Mario_66
Valued Contributor

Hi,

this will be interesting. As far as I know, 13 disks in one RSS is allowed only if the RSSes are in transition state. Except if your EVA has a very old VCS version?

BTW,

According to your question, if you switch off one of your enclosures you will not lose any data. The worst case can be that your hosts lose ACCESS to the EVA LUNs until you replace or switch on the enclosure which has been switched off before.

In your case, LUNs visibility depends on Vraid type.

BR,
Mario.
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

HI Uwe,

Let me try and get that log for you but will need some time as I dont have SSSU installed in the server.
NathanK
Regular Advisor

Bala,
With an EVA 3K there is no way that you can be fully redundant against a shelf failure unless everything is mirrored.

If using RAID 5 you will always be unprotected because you will always have at least 2 drives of the same shelf being used by a RAID 5 stripe.

If using Mirroring you are protected because the stripe is always paired with another physical disk in a diferrent shelf.

I also am having trouble beleiving that your Disk groups are setup like that. Supposedly the minimum amount of disks allowed in a dg is 8.
If there is no solution then there is no problem
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Bala,
you can find a copy of SSSU.EXE on the CV-EVA management server.
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Hi UWE,

I found the SSSU.exe and I executed the file and came to the prompt. I run all the commands provided in u r txt file step by step.
When I do show cell I get error msg Error: Command not valid until a system is selected
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Looks like you need to 'fix' the password for the EVA agent:

> C:
> cd "\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SANworks\Element Manager for StorageWorks HSV\Bin"

> elmsetup -pA:ThePwd -f

Then, reboot the management server.

Please take a CAPTURE CONFIGURATION of your EVA and store it in a safe place. It is the only way to easily recover the system in case of a catastrophic failure.
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Uwe,

We have got CV3.2 so elmsetup file is in c:\program files\compaq\SANworks\Enterprise Volume Manager\bin is it the correct location?
DO you still want me to run the file from that location. I would also like to know is there any other alternative option which can be done without rebooting the SMA server.

TNX
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh, I see. So you are running a true Storage Management Appliance, not using a general purpose server?

Are you sure that you have used the correct password? On this system, the default username/password is "administrator" / "administrator" for the system management environment. When I wrote '' in the SSSU script, I only meant it as a placeholder.