New Discussion юеВ

Net Raid 1Si

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michel Nolet
Occasional Contributor

Net Raid 1Si

I'm about to install a net raid 1Si in my E60
Netserver . Is there a way to install the controller without having to reinstall Windows NT 4 ? In step 13 of the "road Map " , it says: Caution Initialization destroys any existing data ..... In step 15 ,it says : If the NOS is not already installed , install it ...... If the NOS is already installed ,
decide witch HP NetRaid drivers to install...
I'm confused !?!?!
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Net Raid 1Si

I'm fairly certain that what they mean in step 13 is that initialization of the RAID array will destroy any existing data on that array. It SHOULD NOT effect any of your OS data, assuming that the data is on drives completely separate from the array.

Step 15 means that if this is a BRAND SPANKING NEW machine, which does not have any OS installed, then you will need to install the OS once the array is hooked up and ready to go. If this is a machine that already has NT installed, then once you install the RAID array all you have to do is install the appropriate array drivers on your NT box and then you are ready to run.
Michel Nolet
Occasional Contributor

Let's say i have 3x 9.1gb in the machine .
I have windows nt on C: drive and some data too. I have little data on D: drive . And E:
drive will serve for " parity " .
So i tie the flat ribbon from the inside SCSi
controller to the Net Raid . Restart the server , Win NT will boot up . I change the drivers and that's it . If it's easy like that . I'll be happy ! Bye the way thanks .

Michel

Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor
Solution

If you are running your disks of a SCSI controller and want to migrate to the NetRaid, you will lose the data on those disks when you connect them to the 1SI and re-initialize them.

I believe the manual references an installation on a OS disk that will not be part of the NetRaid configuration and hence the NT installation will be maintained.

Hope this helps.

Cal.
RAMY NAGUIB
Frequent Advisor

There is only one "undocumented"way here it is:
If you have your previous configuration on only one drive then complete the following:
1-Install the driver of the Raid controller on you NT drive then shutdown.
2-Install the Raid controller.
3-Connect a NEW drive to it and configure it is as RAID 0 "one new drive" and accept the configuration.
4-Remove that drive from the server then connect the original one and start your server ,then from ctr+m check controller firmware configuration and then accept it.
5-complete starting the servers when it starts correctly to NT then shut down again.
5-Install the other drives.
6-Start NT and from NetRaid utility right click on the configured drive then choose change configuration.
7-Then choose whether you want raid 0 or 1 or 5 and note to migrate to these level you should highlight the one or more of the unconfigured disks before right clicking on the configured disk.
8-now you have your system partition on a H/W raid ,continue to configure the other drives.
Good Luck