6506 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Newbie: HSZ70 firmware documentation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Walter Hetterschijt

Newbie: HSZ70 firmware documentation

Can someone explain me how to find documentation about the HSZ70 controller? I am trying to get it running on my Alphaserver 4000 in combination with Tru64 5.1.

Regards,
Walter
7 REPLIES 7
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Newbie: HSZ70 firmware documentation

The ITRC Forum has many articles on HSZ70.

For example:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=640329

Just now I had a hard time finding HSZ70 data from www.hp.com under 'storage'.

Best data I found quickly was under hp -> software -> tru64 : http://h30097.www3.hp.com/index.html
Then search for HSZ70.

Did your system not have documentation (CDs)?

What problem are you trying to solve? Is it physically connected? How to define devices? firmware? All of the above?

Hein.
Rajib_1
Advisor

Yes I have the documentation, pls send me your mail ID , I send it to you.

Regards
Rajib kundu
rajib_19@rediffmail.com
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened
Walter Hetterschijt

I bought the Alphaserver 4000/4100 in combination with the HSZ70 diskarray a couple of months ago. It has dual processor, 533Mhz 2 gigs memory. But the harddisks where carefully cleaned. I do have a valid license for Tru64 5.1 and i am trying to gather eveything neccessary for getting the machine running again. It's a hell of a job; but someone's got to do it.

Other question: does someone know whether the disks in the diskarray are compatible with regular scsi disks in the Alphaserver? Are they pincompatible?

By the way i found this:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/controllers/EK-HSZ70-SV-B01.pdf

Regards,
Walter
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I was looking all over the place for that. I think that this is not very user friendly of HP. You should be able to find these infos under retired controllers.

greetings,

Michael
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

The system drawere does not have disks does it?
Any disk lives in a shelf, and goes by the power/heat specification of that shelf.
Often those 'blue/grey bricks' are compatible, notably with the blue/grey shelves, but not always. Old brown/grey shelves officially could not support the once new 4GB RZ29's as they ran too hot).

There is good system documentation in:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/archive/4100/

(I wish storageworks made it as easy to find as alphaserver).

You may want to 'just try', or read of specific disk and shelf labels/numbers.

Hein.

Walter Hetterschijt

The systemdrawer has one 4,3 gigs root disk (grey ones) . The rest of the disc are in the HSZ70 unit (20 * 9,8 gigs) (dark blue ones).

Maybe the best thing to do is just try.

Thanks

Walter
Per Jessen

I've just acquired a Storageworks 7000 with dual HSZ70 etc. I am hoping to get it to work with a Linux-based server and have been trying to track down as much information and documentation as possible.
Seeing as others are pursuing similar objectives here, I thought you might have some quick answers to some of my questions:

1) is there anything, software or hardware, that would prevent me from making this work with Linux? show-stoppers?
2) AFAICT I need a HVD SCSI controller, such as the Adaptec 2944UW?
3) Will the firmware (currently 7.3) support 36Gb drives or more? AFAICT, I need the 7.7-Z4 firmware for this.
4) It looks like the firmware is not available for download, but can only be bought? (I don't have a support contract).

Apologies if this is not appropriate in this forum.