1752805 Members
5449 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nike 20 A3550AZ Controller Replacement

Ken Martin_1
Occasional Advisor

Nike 20 A3550AZ Controller Replacement

I have a failed Nike (B) controller A3549-60002 Prom 1.63 Microcode 8.61 on a Nike 20. The other controller is running the Raid Array. The attached system is an HP D330 running HP/UX 10.20.

My question is when replacing the controller is there anything too keep in mind? The controller I am getting is from another system. Are there any precautions I should take.

Thanks...

6 REPLIES 6
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Ken,

disable the defective controller before you pull it out, there is a switch labelled accordingly. Before you insert the new, disable it as well. After it is inserted, enable it. Should have same firmware as the other / replaced controller. Though I admit I never tested what would have happened if this was not the case.

Regards,
Bernhard
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Sure you seen the warning that the array will shut down if you keep the back door open for more than 2 minutes.

Regards,
Bernhard
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Before removing SP please go to it's serial port and disable caching. After pulling SP out move DIMMs to replacement controller (it that controller do not have DIMMs).
SPs only keep boot code. Firmware (flare code) image is stored on the database disks. So do not worry about firmwares
Eugeny
Ken Martin_1
Occasional Advisor

Bernhard,

Thanks for the reply. Just FYI I have another Nike 20 that has been working just fine with SP-A having Prom 1.73 and Microcode 08.27 and SP-B having Prom 1.57 and Microcode 08.27.

Also, I did not see a switch labeled "disable". Aren't these cards hot plugable?

Ken Martin_1
Occasional Advisor

Eugeny,

I glad you mentioned Flare Code. That brings up another question. I want to upgrade certain partitions on the Nike 20.

When upgrading disks 4 -> 8GB how do I make sure the Flare Code stays intact. I know it is on specific drives, but don't know which.

If I plan to upgrade a disk that has Flare on it how do put Flare back on it?

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Database disks for Nike 20 are A0, B0, C0, A3. You should not replace all at one time.
I think that procedure should be as follows - if you want to replace all disks within one bound LUN you need to do it on the operating array:
1. backup affected LUN (better whole disk array to be on the safe track);
2. unbind affected LUN;
3. replace drives;
4. make sure array is healthy and all new disks are claimed (through array's presentation utility). Array should copy flare code to database drive automatically;
5. bind new LUN on new drives;
6. restore data.
Remember that Nike only accepts HP OEMed drives with special firmware on them. Do not even try to install any native seagate or IBM drives - they will not work.
Bind disks of the same capacity and if possible same vendor (IBM or Seagate)
Eugeny