5765 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Nike 20 disk array (clarion)

Dave Elliott
Frequent Advisor

Nike 20 disk array (clarion)

HELP
I need to lay my hands on a newer level of firmware for my nike 20 disk array model a3232a.
it is one of the oldest firmware levels around and ideally i would like to get hold of level 9 or above, i am currently on 7.23(old)the array is connected to a D390.
if anyone out there has the revision of firmware then great or is there a websit that i can locate it from.
regards
Oracle DBA
8 REPLIES 8
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Nike 20 disk array (clarion)

Hello,

If you are running that level of firmware on your controller, then you have an SP controller (Sauna) and not an SP620 (Phoenix).

There are newer firmware for your Sauna controller(s). Or microcode, to be precise. The latest for the Sauna SP is 8.27 . With this microcode, you will have support for 4Gb and 9Gb harddisks on your Nike 20. Currently, on your current microcode, you can only have 2Gb or lower harddisks.

In order to upgrade your microcode, you need to upgrade the PROM version as well, to 8.02 . Currently, you should have version 7.97 . You can check this on the presentation screen on Gridmanager.

Also, if you upgrade one controller, if you have more than one, you should upgrade the other controller as well to the same version.

The firmware (or microcode) levels for the Nike 20 are NOT for the array itself; they are for the controller (SP in your case).

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

If you are running that level of firmware on your controller, then you have an SP controller (Sauna) and not an SP620 (Phoenix).

There are newer firmware for your Sauna controller(s). Or microcode, to be precise. The latest for the Sauna SP is 9.25.00 . With this microcode, you will have support for 4Gb, 9Gb and 18Gb harddisks on your Nike 20. Currently, on your current microcode, you can only have 2Gb or lower harddisks.

In order to upgrade your microcode, you need to upgrade the PROM version as well, to 8.02 . Currently, you should have version 7.97 . You can check this on the presentation screen on Gridmanager.

Also, if you upgrade one controller, if you have more than one, you should upgrade the other controller as well to the same version.

The firmware (or microcode) levels for the Nike 20 are NOT for the array itself; they are for the controller (SP in your case).

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

The last release of firmware is 9.26.07 PROM 8.02 for SAUNA SP's.

Be aware that you have the latest LVM and SCSI patches installed and all dependencies resolved if you download the firmware on a 10.20 system or you'll be in trouble.

The minimum patches to be installed should be PHKL_11086 and PHKL_17468 on systems running 10.20.
I have no idea if we have a firmware depot.

Hope this helps,
Never say "no" first.
Dave Elliott
Frequent Advisor

Vincent thanks for the information, i already knew about the sp and that i would need to do both.
but i still have the initial problem in that i can't seem to find the upgrade.
can you suggest somewhere to download from.
regards
Oracle DBA
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

For firmware upgrades, contact HP to bring the firmware with them and let THEM do it. I doubt that the firmware is downloadable anyway. There are risks if you do it yourself. If HP screws things up themselves, they will replace under warranty. Otherwise, if you do it yourself, you have to pay.

Insu, thanks for the update, my service manual is a bit old :-)

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Dave Elliott
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunatly our Hardware support ism't with hp so i need to find it and then i can get our hardware engineers to install.

Oracle DBA
Bob Johnson_5

Apparently Nike/20 firmware in not downloadable. If your 3rd party maintenance company cannot provide you with the firmware, you will have to have HP perform the upgrade, and pay time & materials for the service.

Personally, I would be pretty peeved with the 3rd party maintenance company if they cannot maintain your array (ie get the FW) - peeved enough to demand a refund of the maintenance costs.

Good luck - I hope you get this resolved.
Ryan_4
Advisor

Dave: this third party has a seed method
to up grading the prom code. But you will have to shutdown the system for out method.
HP might be able to do this online and onsite.