5244 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non-HP drives in a Jamaica

SOLVED
Go to solution

Non-HP drives in a Jamaica

Hi,

I have several A3313A Rack Enclosures that hold all of our HDDs, and would like to upgrade all of the 2GB drives in there to 9 GB. Rather than pay $1600 per drive for HP models, could I put other SCA SCSI disks (like a Seagate Cheetah) in there? I think there may be some problem with having non-HP firmware on the disks but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help with this.
just do it!
10 REPLIES 10
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

There are some things to consider here when you look at the prices tag. First, the FWD interface is more expensive than SE and is not typically an off the shelf item except with major suppliers. When you perform an ioscan on your machine you will find out that you are already using Seagate drives (the ST numbers). But all drives are not created equal. From what I can see, Seagate has three different quality levels, one for garden variety pc's, one for pc class servers, and high performance drives that you find on HPUX servers and other machines in this quaility range. Add all this with a five year warrenty, spare distribution throught the world, the disk enclosure package, etc. and you will see that the price may be seem steep but is generally considered worth it by most customers. Why? Drives don't last forever, but these drives last a lot longer; particularly when you consider the duty cycle.
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Buy them from a 3rd party refurbisher. (Go see the vendor listings at www.3k.com)

They will offer you a 90 day warranty (more if you want to pay for it) and once they have been running 30 days HP will gladly put them under maintenance.

Suggest you get bids from 3 vendors and let them beat themselves up beating each others prices down. :)
Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor

There is also a technical issue to consider.
The Jamaica modules are either Fast Wide Differential or Single Ended. The drives within the modules can be Fast Wide Differential, Wide Single Ended or Low Voltage Single Ended. Between the drive and the connector on the module is an "Adapter" called a "Header Board". This "Adapter" takes care of of the conversion of bus speed and signaling technology (SE or FWD) to (WSE or LVD).
Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.

Thanks for the insight.
My original question remains, however. Does anyone know if I can put a non-HP disk (by that I mean a disk without hp firmware) in this enclosure unit and have hp-ux recognize it? Thanks for the input.
just do it!
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

Sure you can, but you will never be able to update firmware on a third party drive. This could lead to serious performance problems.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
paul courry
Honored Contributor

This is why I suggested going to a 3rd party refurbisher. The drives you get *will* be HP drives. They *can* have the firmware upgraded and you pay much less than HP would charge.
Mark Snowdon

I have a similar requirement, with an A3311A.
The modules in our array are A3647A and contain Seagate ST34572WC 4.3GB disks. We would like to replace these with 9 or 18's.

Do I understand Bob correctly that the Header board allows me to use whatever disk (with an 80 pin SCA connector) as long as it matches the module type (FWD or SE).

I am confused because our modules are labeled DF and Seagates web site shows that this disk is not differential.

Jennifer, what did you try and did it work ?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Inglis
Trusted Contributor

HP uses differeent types of drives within the JAMAICA modules (FWD, UWSE & LVD). The header board (an adapter) converts the signal and clocking from whatever the drive is to Fast Wide Differential or Narrow Single Ended depending on what the module is stamped. There have been many different header board versions. Each is specific to the drive type and application.

Please do not try replacing the mechs. within the modules. The header board may not match the new drives. It will void the warranty/service contract. You will then have unsupported firmware. You may dammage the module.

Plan for the future and tomorrow will take care of itself.
JD_3
Solution

...easy, remove the disk from the array, open the black cosmetic around your drive...you will see a converter inside, check the type of disk (SCSI SE/FW...) you will find a known disk label inside (seagate...) replace it by a bigger one...
I did already.
JD