5457 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Not able to see LUNs beyond 8 for HPUX

amsethi
Occasional Advisor

Not able to see LUNs beyond 8 for HPUX

Hi,
I have a HDS9970V with around 18 luns on a target connected to a port of "HP PCI-X 2.0 4GB Fibre Channel HBA". The host running HP-UX 11.23 cannot see beyond 0-7 luns when I do an ioscan.

So any ideas on why I am not seeing more than 8 luns ??
Is there any additional patch that I need so as to get this working ? Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Amit Sethi
6 REPLIES 6
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: Not able to see LUNs beyond 8 for HPUX

Check out the supported LUN addressing modes of the HDS storage array in their documentation. Since you can only see 8 luns, I guess PDA (Peripleral Device Addressing) is in effect.
For more than 16 LUNs, LUN addressing is required.
amsethi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sameer,

I am new to HPUX and unix platform. If you could post your reply in details then it would be helpful. Like disable to Peripheral Device Addressing. How LUN addressing is done in HPUX.
Thanks
Amit Sethi
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

These are the documents which would be helpful for you to understand and know how Lun addressing is done in HPUX.

http://www.hp.com/hpbooks/prentice/chapters/0130102229.pdf
http://www.docs.hp.com/en/7154/Max_LUN_whitepaper_v11.23.pdf

There is a document for configuring this stroage for HPUX (open-systems) as mentioned in this link.
http://192.18.109.11/875-3324-10/875-3324-10.pdf

If you have this document, go through it or else you might want to contact HDS support.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't know much about 9900 series, but the Thunder 9500 series, you have to modify the Host Group Options. In HDS Storage Navigator there is an option under "Detail" called "HP Connection Mode 2". You need to set this so that HP-UX can see LUNs higher than Host LUN 7. (see screenshot)You can also use the "Simple" option and look under "Additional Parameters". You need to do this on both Storage Ports, if you are using Dual-Path. When you change this option, it interrupts I/O for the Host Group. If you are not using the disks yet, then it should not be too much of a problem.

Regards,
Stephen
amsethi
Occasional Advisor

Hi Stephen,

Thanks I am able to the see 5 LUNs for HDS9585V on each port of FC HBA as they are configured for dual path. So a total of 10 LUNs from 2 ports.

But I am not able to find a solution for HDS 9970V.

Amit Sethi
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

check the Host LUN you have assigned. I would guess that on the 9585 you have uses HLUNs 0-4 on each port, so HP-UX would not have a problem there. But if you have more than 8 LUNs in one storage group on a particular port, you would need to set this option (as a rule, I always set it when I create a Host Security Group for an HP-UX Host)

Regards,
Stephen