108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OPEN-V-CM?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

OPEN-V-CM?

I have a few luns showing me OPEN-V-CM, in the result of ioscan -fnC, as usually it should show me OPEN-V on hpux11i servers.

These luns on xp12000, and they are all small pieces, like only 100M, I am wondering what made them to show OPEN-V-CM.

Thanks,
none
8 REPLIES 8
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
those should be the Raid Manager command devices, used for the XP Business Copy and Continuous Access control operations
the pain is one part of the reality
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

But we don't have the license for Bussiness Copy or Continues Access as you mentioned?
none
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Ok,
do you have any external storage in your environment pls?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

XP external storage certainly
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Most likely it can be the residuum of some RAID manager (local or remote Raid manager command devices)installations or something like that...
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Based on documets, these are Command Devices, but what are they for? conceptually why do I need command devices? and and consequences if I assign them to a host?

Thanks,
none
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

command devices are special XP volumes which accepts the XP RAID manager (RM) BC and CA controll operations (metadata)
therefore they are so small,
there should not be any data on them, because serving as a command devices they are inaccessible for data operations, they are dedicated to the RM metadata operations.
If you are absolutely sure you do not need them, you can release them into the free space...
krusty
Honored Contributor

These are basically pass through devices so a host can communicate in band to the XP array. As stated in the thread, these devices are typically mapped to hosts where a scripting utility (RAID Manager) is installed so you can tell the array to perform certain functions (like split a Business Copy).

These devices are typically very small (35 or 46 MB), and data should not be written to them. You can change from a Command Device to a data LUN from the XP console.

Sincerely,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"