Disk Enclosures
1752449 Members
6405 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: One HVD10, two hosts... Can it be done?

B. Chapman
Frequent Advisor

One HVD10, two hosts... Can it be done?

OK... After reading the HVD10 Disk System installation and configuration guide, I *still* don't know if this is possible:

-One HVD10, with 4 disks, 6 empty slots, dual BCCs
-Two K-class servers, both with dual HBAs

Is it possible to connect TWO hosts to ONE disk subsystem, and have each HBA address ONE disk each??? And if so, how would it be cabled and dip-switched? And which slots would the 4 disks occupy?

As always, thanks in advance for any help on this...

Later,
Ben.
chapmanb@saic.com
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

No. HVD10 can work either in full bus mode (when both BCC see all the disks, thus connected servers will see and share all the disks) and in split bus mode (when one BCC sees a half of disks and another BCC sees another half of disks).
With HVD10 you can:
- setup cluster which will see and share all the disks (full bus mode);
- setup HVD10 in split bus mode, connect one server to one BCC and another to another BCC and thus one server will see disks in even slots and another in odd slots. Nothing will be shared.
Of course there're some more variations how it can be done... Check user and service guide at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=3124&locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=33745&prodTypeId=12169
Eugeny
B. Chapman
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Eugeny... I'm surprised that it can't be done, which is a bummer - but you've answered my question! If it *COULD'VE* been done, I probably would've assigned 9 points!! ;-)

Later,
Ben.
chapmanb@saic.com
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

The primary goal of HVD10 is to replace HASS (A3312A, Jamaica) enclosure for legacy HP servers (which have HVD adapters only) and serve as a shared cluster or HA (high-available) storage. What you want - seeing one disk through one HBA - is not its goal. So you simply need another storage enclosure, or 2 HVD10 storage enclosures (2 enclosures in split bus mode each will have 4 independent SCSI channels)
Eugeny
chris callihan
Advisor

Although I cannot find a 'supported' config that shows this, you could use the HVD10 in split bus mode, with 2 disks per each bus, have both HBA's of one server attached to one bus (in a dual initiator config), use PV Links to have the primary path for each disk to be on the separate HBA's, with the alternate on the other. Repeat the same config with the other server on the other BCC. Although you actually have 2 disks on each HBA, you only have one disk on each HBA that is primary, the other disk will only be accessed by that path in the event of some type of path failure as seen by the other HBA.