1747972 Members
3443 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Optimal RAID5 config in MSA P2000 G3

Alex Georgiev
Regular Advisor

Optimal RAID5 config in MSA P2000 G3

Does anyone know the optimal number of spindles for RAID5 and RAID6 configs in the P2000 G3?

There should be an drive count for which the parity calculation and stripe writes are most efficient. As an example, the Hitachi AMS likes 4+1 or 8+1 RAID5 configs. You could configure a RAID5 group with a higher drive count to get more total IOPS out of it, but you get less IOPS per drive. If memory serves me right, the EVA5000 liked 7+1 for the RAID5 RSS set (don't quote me on that, it's just an example).

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Georgiev
Regular Advisor

Ok, well, nobody has answered...

I found the best practices document: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/JustRightITopk/MSA2000_G1_White_Paper.pdf

It makes no specific recommendations for number of spindles in an a RAID5 group. So I'll go on the assumption that it doesn't matter much, if at all.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Raid 5 in most RAID configurations gives best reads around 6-8 disks. The issue is write performance. More disks cause parity write calculations so slow disk writes and affects your balance of IOPS. RAID 6 can really affect write performance. Do you need disk space or write perforamnce? I went with RAID 10 over RAID 5 and 6 for my servers. I rather have faster write performance and decent read performance for restoring files from tape backup, copying files, and other data writes.
Amar_Harsora

Note:
The P2000 G3 can support a maximum volume size of 16 TB.
Supporting large storage capacities requires advanced planning because it requires using large virtual disks with
several volumes each or many virtual disks. To increase capacity and drive usage (but not performance), you can
create virtual disks larger than 2 TB and divide them into multiple volumes with a capacity of 2 TB or less.
The largest supported Vdisk is the number of drives allowed in a RAID set multiplied by the largest drive size.
тАв RAID 0, 3, 5, 6, 10 can support up to 16 drives.
тАв RAID 50 can support up to 32 drives

Please refer below document for reference

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04168365

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

dacrypt
Occasional Contributor

why only 16TB? I have a P2000 g3 with 12x 18TB drives and 4 vdisks of ╦Ь30TB usable space each. Raid5, Raid0 and Raid10 all working fine.