Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal Stripe_Size for MSA 1500?

Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Optimal Stripe_Size for MSA 1500?

Hi,

What would be the most optimized way to setup the stripe_size on a LUN for MSA 1500 - Here are the specs:

MSA 1500 with 2 controllers Active/Passive
version 5.20
512MB per controller
4 MSA 20 attached
48 x 500GB SATA 7200K RPM Drives

Due to Windows 2003 Ent. limitation, each lun will be an useable of 2.0TB RAID 1 (8 x 500GB)

I have an option of 8KB to 256KB stripe_size. What would I set the stripe_size to? This storage will be dedicated as my file server with 900GB of word and excel documents at this time.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge
3 REPLIES
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: Optimal Stripe_Size for MSA 1500?

Hello Jorge,

the stripe size may vary with your use case. I would use a stripe size between 64 KB and 128 KB for a RAID 5.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Hi and thanks for your response.

I am not using RAID5 -- I am using RAID1, some say RAID1+0. Currently, it let me to set stripe_size to 256KB. Should I stay with that, or should I change it to 128KB, which I often used on RAID-0.

These two (2) LUNs would mainly for write & read since it's file based server.

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Jorge
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Jorge,

just use the default settings. :)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,