108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P2000 Global Spare Disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
LarryResch
Visitor

P2000 Global Spare Disk

I have two StorageWorks enclosures attached to a P2000 G3 controller with the first enaclosure holding my main vdisk and the second enclosure holding the global spares. One of the disks in my vdisk failed and was automatically replaced by one of the global spares so no data was lost and the RAID kept its integrity.

I have just replaced the failed disk and would like to move it into the vdisk and set the other disk back to being a global spare. Is there a way to do this?

TIA,

-L

3 REPLIES 3
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

- Create the Failed Disk replaced as a Vdisk Spare.

To change a vdisk’s spares
1. In the Configuration View panel, right-click a vdisk and select Configuration > Manage Dedicated
Spares. The main panel shows information about the selected vdisk, its spares, and all disks in the
system. Existing spares are labeled SPARE.
• In the Disk Sets table, the number of white slots in the SPARE entry’s Disks field shows how many
spares you can add to the vdisk.
• In the enclosure view or list, only existing spares and suitable available disks are selectable.
2. Select spares to remove, disks to add as spares, or both.
3. Click Modify Spares. If the task succeeds, the panel is updated to show which disks are now spares for
the vdisk.

- Once, the Spare is created you can pull out the Disk which was invoked as a spare and now part of a vdisk from 2nd Enclosure.

- It should start reconstruction to the Vdisk Spare.

Above is the method if you would want specific disks as a part of vdisk but this is not recommended as the task is tidious and it involves risk of second disk failure during Reconstruction. You will need to do that for every disk failure if you want the specific disk set.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
LarryResch
Visitor

I assume that I need to mark my other global spare disks as unavailable (i.e., remove them as spares) so only the disk I want to be part of the array is marked as a spare?

Once reconstruction starts on the new disk, can I simply add the other disks back as global spares without affecting anything?

-L

AnkitM
Trusted Contributor
Solution

No.

You can create the new drive as a vdisk spare and pull the other disk out.

For more information on difference between global and vdisks spare refer to: HP P2000 G3 MSA System SMU Reference Guide (500911-008, March 2013) Page Number 22. How to create each type of spare refer to Page Number 58 and 66.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.