108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P400 RAID 5

Kunal Raiker
Advisor

P400 RAID 5

Hi,

I wanted to increase the size of one of the 2 volumes on my RAID 5 arry,

To give a little backgroud,I have 3- 750 GB ata drives in RAID 5 array with one logical drive and 2 volumes.
One of my volumes is running out of space therefore i added another 750gb drive and increased the size of the logical frive.

My problem is,what do I need to don in order to increase the size of the volume.

Have I done something wrong here.

The server is 2003 R2.

24 REPLIES 24
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

There is no details about the server model which you are using etc.. If it is using Smart Array Controller then I hope you can do the expand the Array by adding one more disk on to the existing array and then you can extend the Logical drive. I have done it quite long back and its a online activity. It may take a long time. Once activity is completed then using windows you can extend the voulme using diskpart.
Kunal Raiker
Advisor

Thanks for your help.

I have done what you advised.
It took about 2 days for the logical drive to be extended.
Now the physical drive list inside the RAID 5 array,but when I went to use disk part it tells me there is no space more then 1 mb to extend.

Could someone please help.
toomas_aas
Frequent Advisor

Sounds like you have expanded the array, but you haven't extended the logical drive. You have to do that separately.
Kunal Raiker
Advisor

I have extended the logical drive,I know it was a two step process when I did it.

During the expansion of logical drive I was asked ,what amount I wanted to increase it by and I selected the whole.
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

If the Logical drive expansion is completed, then you can notice the unallocated space left on the partition from the Windows Disk Management console.

If it is not noticing any space try to do a "rescan disks" on the Disk management console after logical drive expansion activity completed. Verify the same from ACU.

Suppose the volume to be extended is like F drive, then follow the below commands to extend the volume from the OS side.

1. Open cmd (command prompt)
2. run diskpart. then you will get a prompt DISKPART>)
3. on that promnt type "select volume F" and press enter
4. It will show that volume X is selected
5. then type command "extend" (this will extend the full remaining space to the existing volume)

Hope this will be useful.

Siva
Kunal Raiker
Advisor

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it says that- the specified disks have less then 1mb f disk space,please specify another disk.

The logical drive shows the extended size in brackets but disk management does not display the extra space.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It would be easier to hlp you if you post screenshots from the ACU and The Windows diskmanager.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Kunal Raiker
Advisor

I have attached a file with screen shots of both.

I have circled the logical drive and the volume of interest.
Please advise.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Can't open the file.

Please try another format.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo